Chapter 34

Mary is in the lead by twenty points, but only because she cheated. Diana is right behind her, but Cecelia is tied with Diana. I, however, am dead last with no chance of catching up.

My fingers bent the cards since it was my turn to deal. "Has Brenda said anything to you?" I asked after a few rounds. I felt a lot better, even though I could feel myself getting weak.

"Who's Brenda?" Diana asked, her brow furrowed in thought. She picked up the scattered cards in front of her, clacking them on the table to straighten them.

"The tutor," Mary said exasperated. She was always sharp tongued, although it wasn't in her favor most of the time. "And yes, but we weren't going to tell you until later."

"Tell me what?" I inquired. Mary lifted her eyebrows and glanced at me through her lashes before looking back down at her cards. She put down an ace on the table before looking around for an explanation.

"I wasn't listening," she replied shortly.

"The other Elite have started on their projects. To prove you're worthy of being Queen and to show you're ambitious," Cecelia explained.

"What? When did they start on that?" I nearly screamed. Diana pulled all of the cards into a stack and filed them all into the box. "Well?" I repeated, much softer.

"I'll tell you while you get ready for dinner," Cecelia sighed. She helped me to my feet and into my bathroom, running a bath for me. I felt weak as I lifted my arms to wash my hair and as I struggled into my dress.

"Now, you have to come up with a project to benefit the people of Illèa. America's idea was to remove the caste system, and here we are. She's removed the seventh and eighth caste, and rumor has it she's getting rid of the sixth. Yours doesn't have to be that big, but you should do something impressive," Cecelia summarized as she curled my hair.

I got up from my stool in the middle of my bathroom as I slipped my feet into a pair of black heels. The heel was thick, so they were easier to walk in. I started towards the door with the intention that I would be okay since I was feeling much better.

"Thank you, ladies. You can be dismissed for the night. My nurse can stay with me," I assured them.

"With all due respect, Elisa, we want to stay," Mary said quietly. I blinked in surprise and stumbled a bit in the doorway. Cecelia and Diana nodded beside her and sat down on the sofa, as if to say, 'we're not leaving.'

"Okay," I smiled. I looked down at my heels and looked back at the door. "Be sure to get some extra blankets and pillows then. We can play cards when I get back, alright?"

"Of course," Cecelia beamed, as if it was the only thing she would've wanted. I left out the door to start down the hallways. I took slow steps to be sure I was steady as I walked, not to stress myself.

With every step, it seemed as if I grew more and more tired. I swept away hairs from my face along with the light perspiration on my brow. I approached a case of steps, and made my way down gripping the rail. My knuckles were beginning to turn white, and I faltered a bit on he last few steps until an arm steadied me.

"Be careful," said a gentle voice. I turned around and saw Kiara, who wore a genuine smile and a light grip on my elbow. "Let me help you," she insisted.

I swallowed hard and exhaled harshly through my nose. I hesitated, every muscle in my body stiffening at that moment. I wasn't sure why I feared her, for I truly had nothing to be afraid of. She was a mere girl of similar height and weight with the same abilities as I have. I may know how to defend myself more now, but a few weeks of simple practice on basic fighting techniques is nothing to brag about.

"Please," she insisted. She gave my elbow a little squeeze, and furrowed her brow as if forcing me to let her. I remember a time when she was my friend- a true friend. However, you can break a mirror and put the shards together, but the cracked mirror can never show the same reflection.

"Okay," I whispered softly. I nodded my head as the stray hairs on my face fell into my eyes. She beamed at me and patiently assisted me down the steps, allowing me to catch my breath as I went down the staircase that used to cause me no trouble.

"How are you holding up?" She asked. "I'm glad you're alright." She guided me to the dining room with an arm supporting my waist. Her grip was firm and steady, so I felt free to lean into it when I felt as if I were going to fall.

"Fine," I sighed. "It's just inconvenient. I'm over it, but I wish I could return to normal. I haven't seen my brother, either, and I've been aching to see him," I confessed.

"Have you seen Aaron since you woke up?" She asked. I sensed a bit of jealousy within her voice, but it was barely noticeable. She was very good at masking things like that. She kept her gaze at her feet, steadily watching my foot follow hers as she continued to help me.

"Yes," I responded. "He was there when I woke up." I saw her brow furrow in my peripheral vision. She released a tiny sigh and lifted her head as her expression returned to normal. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't tell what she was thinking.

"Why do you ask?" I inquired. We had approached the large wooden door that led to the dining room, and Kiara pushed them open for me. I stepped inside, careful not to trip over my dress or fall without the support I had quickly become accustomed to.

Kiara looked at me a bit sadly beside the door. Her brows drooped and her smile was grim. She had blue eyes that usually sparkled, but they seemed a bit dull as of right now. "I don't expect you to understand."

Before I could even open my mouth to speak my next sentence, I was interrupted by America at the dining table. The long oak table that used to seat thirty five girls and the five members of the Royal family now only held a measly number of nine including Kiara and I.

"Lady Elisa, so glad you could join us," she smiled. I came to my seat beside Danielle, for Leila occupied my seat beside Marlee. I had been gone so long that I don't really blame her. America had her red hair into an elegant bun with her crown sitting on her head.

I sat down and smiled politely at everyone before eating my meal. I noticed how mine was different from everyone else, and it was healthier and more suited for my current condition. I gladly ate my meal while everyone else chatted lightly. However, Aaron and Maxon seemed deeply engrossed in a conversation. I would definitely look into that later.

I had finished my dinner before the others, and quickly excused myself. I curtly declined any offer for help, since I didn't want to inconvenience anyone. I took off my shoes to make my trek seem less tiring, but to no avail. The steps seemed steeper and the hallways longer.

I was relieved to see my door, which had a fresh white peony replacing the dead one. I brushed my fingers on the petals as I strode into my room. Mary, Diana, Cecelia, and another stranger sat withing the sitting area of my room. Unlike usual, they were dressed in a black nightgown with their hair down. It was a nice comforting change that made them feel more like sisters than maids, which was truly what they were to me.

"Lady Elisa," called the strange woman. She was tall with dark brown hair and high cheekbones. "I'm your nurse, Zora."

"Just Elisa is fine," I said with a tight smile. "Forgive me, but I'm awfully tired. I'm going to sleep as soon as possible."

"Of course, Elisa," she said with a fleeting smile.

Cecelia had made my bed for Mary, herself, and I after I insisted that three could sleep in the king bed and I was more than happy to share. We used the extra pillows and blankets to fix up two nice sleeping areas for Diana and Zora.

"Goodnight, ladies," I said with a voice muffled by the blanket pulled up to my chin.

The chorus of goodnights never sounded so sweet.