Chapter 44

Aaron eventually had to leave me to attend to the other Elite. I can understand why he would do that on the behalf of the whole Selection process, but surely Leila and Danielle know it won't be them right? Or am I supposed to know it isn't me? Suddenly the songbird necklace resting on my chest grew very heavy as I danced. I tried to brush it off as I danced with Olivia and America.

Yes, the Queen of Illea has also joined in on the fun. She took off her shoes before dancing though, but I didn't really notice a difference between heeled and flat feet. I was fine either way. America had almost knocked her crown off of her head several times before giving it to her husband, who simply watched his wife from the corner with a guard with a cane he was having a pleasant conversation with.

A guard approached us and nodded his head to me before bowing to the Queen and Princess. "Your Majesty, I'm sorry to disturb you, but there's been a dilemma with something I believe you would find very important."

"What's so important for me to attend to at this time of the night?" America asked with genuine concern. Her eyebrows knitted together as her face drew an expression of slight fear, something you had to look and recognize in a queen.

He looked at Olivia and me and hesitated. He got very close to America's ear and spoke very lowly, and I could tell this got the attention of some of the maids and Elite around us. America's eyes widened.

She looked at us and breathed in deeply. "I'm so sorry, girls, but you'll have to excuse me," she said before immediately rushing out with her husband, shoes and crown in hand.

"Does this happen often?" I asked Olivia, turning my confused expression to her.

A look of grief spread across her face. "You have no idea, Elisa." She continued to look at the door, as if she could turn back time and will her mother and father back into the room.

I made her look at me by taking her wrist gently. "Come on, Livy. Let's make the best of this. I doubt we're going to have another party like this any time soon."

She smiled at me, and continued to dance to the next song. I found my maids and the four of us danced together until my legs couldn't hold me up anymore, so I went and took a seat at the corner of the dimly lit room.

Danielle and Leila sat with me, eating some of the snacks provided. They saw my glass of water and frowned. "Elisa," Danielle started. "One glass of champagne is not going to kill you."

"No, but another heart attack will," I retorted. "If you already have one, you're at a higher risk for another one," I said, looking at my hands as they straightened the short layered skirts of my dress.

"You're doing so well, though," Leila groaned. "What's one glass?" she giggled, pouring two glasses. She held one out to me and pressed the other to her smiling lips. I looked at her through my lashes and took it from her by the stem.

They watched me as I drank the golden liquid, but they didn't know how it was already loosening up my nerves a lot. I put the glass down and coughed. "This is really strong," I sputtered.

Leila observed her glass. "You're right. The one I had earlier wasn't nearly this bad." She shrugged and lifted her eyebrows. "Oh well. Let's keep dancing," she beamed, dragging Danielle and I back to the floor.

/\/\/\

"I think I'm going to go back to my room," I informed Diana and Cecelia. My brain was foggy and it hadn't let up, and I was tired after dancing for hours. There wasn't a clock in here, but it felt like it was almost midnight.

"Okay, do you want us to come with you?" Diana asked. She held my shoulder to keep me steady.

"No, no, I'll be fine. I'll see you girls tomorrow," I said, quickly assuring them. Cecelia looked at me and brushed a stray hair from my face.

"If you say so. Goodnight," Cecelia said before giving me a brief hug. Diana gave me one as well, and after that, I left the dining hall party.

The hallways felt really, really long as I went to my room. There weren't many guards out this time of night, and we were already short on guards with the whole rebel situation. I leaned against the walls as I clutched my head. This wasn't another heart attack, no- I had been too paranoid not to look at signs and symptoms of another one of those.

I sobered up very quickly when I was put in an arm lock and a hand muffled my mouth. My eyes grew wide in fear and my heart rate spiked. I jabbed my heeled foot upwards behind me into whoever was holding me, and I heard a man grunt. He fell away from me, and I yelled.

Nobody heard me before he got back up and tied something around my mouth. I didn't even see his facial features before he put me in a secure position in which I couldn't move or attempt to attack- not that I was anywhere near strong enough to hold him off.

The man was easily a foot taller than me with large muscled arms and legs. His chest was rigid and clothed entirely in black, and I couldn't gather much more than that.

I was being carried quickly out the back way that the kitchen got their supplies, and I heard a truck running. I told myself not to cry, but this was an entirely different type of situation than last time I was kidnapped. God, nobody should have to think that. Nobody should have to have been kidnapped multiple times.

The man holding me fell to the ground for no apparent reason- until my mind registered the sound of a gun. He started screaming and clutching his leg after he shot me, and seeing the opportunity with my unrestricted limbs, I elbowed him as hard as I could in the leg where he was shot. I ripped off the cloth at my mouth before looking up at whoever had shot my attacker and almost choked.

"You?!"

/\/\/\

Oh yeah that's right. Them.

Just who is that them?

LOL y'all are just going to have to wait a little while longer.

QUESTION TIME!!!!

guys please answer because I'm getting less views, votes, and comments and I'm getting depressed. It's not about the votes, really, but it's that I'm boring people enough not to read my story.

1. Who do you think saved Elisa?

2. Who do you think was behind kidnapping Elisa?

3. If I wrote a story about superheroes would you read it?