Chapter 21

The Report went well last night. We carried on as normal, and my presence wasn't questioned, nor was Lilly's or Kiara's. Nobody in Illèa knew why Kiara was sent home, but I knew and it was enough to infuriate me.

I was lying in my room when a knock sounded at my door. I mentally huffed and drug myself out of bed. I shook out my hair before opening the door, not even bothering to check and see who it was.

For a girl who's been kidnapped, it was a pretty dumb move.

"Elly," he said.

I sighed and leaned my head against the side of the door, my body weight rested on my arms on the doorknobs. "What did you want Aaron?" I sighed, my breath coming out in a calm whisper. The harsh light from the hallway was getting to my head.

"Can I come in?" He asked sheepishly.

I moved from my post at the door, leaving it wide open for him to waltz on in. I sat back down at the foot of my bed, my feet crossed at the ankles. "Did you need something?"

"I need to apologize," he confessed, sitting beside me. I would be lying if I said the depression formed to the left of me wasn't comforting. "I'm sorry."

"What for?" I looked into his eyes deeply. My brow was furrowed, and I was looking for honest answers.

"Everything."

I knew when he said those words that he was going to stay for a while. I crawled back onto the bed and settles back beneath the covers, stacking pillows behind us to lean on the headboard. I patted the empty space beside me, and ever the gentleman, Aaron stayed above the covers beside me.

I turned the lamp off, leaving us in the almost darkness. The light coming from my balcony dimly lit the room, along with the white lining of my door connecting us to the hallway.

Through the darkness, I could see Aaron looking at me, the glimmer of my eyes reflected in his. "What exactly are you sorry for?"

He took a deep breath and readied himself. "I'm sorry I always create arguments with you. I don't get to spend that much time with you anymore as it is, and I'm not showing my love for you as well as I should."

"I'm sorry for how much pain I'm putting everyone through. I'm sorry for the selected, for my family, for my people, and you. I'm never going to live up to my dad as King, and I'm sorry to the people who I'll affect with my rule."

"I'm sorry that I upset people with my actions. I'm seldom ever serious, and when I am, I'm most likely angry. I yell at people sometimes, even though they've been nothing but kind to me. I don't see why they put up with the disappointment."

"I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry that I've put you through hell. Ever since I entered your life you've lost everything you ever had. You've lost your home, your family, you've been kidnapped, you've been oppressed, you've been beaten, and forced to work under a disguise," he choked out every word. And now, he was croaking with the last few words of his apology.

"And you continue to say it's fine. You say you're doing this for me, and I'm such a measly comparison to the rest of your life. Even if I was worth it, I'm unstable ground. There's always a possibility to you that I could love somebody else, but I don't know how to show you that it's only ever been you. I come with strings attached, and I don't want you to live a life as Queen if you don't want it."

I saw a shiny streak down his face, and I knew he had been crying this whole confession. I snuggled up closer to him and kissed his cheek. He put his arm around me, and we laid down together. He was still on top of the covers, however.

"Aaron, I love you. You and Harrison are the only people I have left in my life. You can't take the place of anyone else, and I'm sorry for everything I put you through. You're the world to me, Aaron. Don't down yourself."

"I love you, Elly."

"I love you too, Aaron."

"Do you want to get married?" He asked out of a brief silence. I was snuggled into his chest. I could feel the steady rise and fall of his breathing, and his arms were laced tightly around me.

"When?" I asked gazing into his eyes. I looked up at him, my head still touching his chest.

"As soon as possible."

"Don't I have to do stuff first to prove that I'm worthy and whatnot?" I asked scrunching my eyebrows. I remember that we had to do at least two more projects, and our party type thing was just the first stage.

"I wish you didn't," he groaned. I gave a snort and buried my head back in his chest. "But after that, would you?"

"Why should I?" I taunted him.

"Because I said so."