Chapter 48

I walked into the ballroom with an empty dance floor. Traditionally, the royal family wore gold at the spring ball to represent the consistent regal leadership amidst new life around it. Most people wore bright colors, like pink, purple, or green- and I didn't see too many in a blood red like mine. I've never seen a dye so deep.

There was more attention to my darker dress, despite the addition of flowers and the lightness and innocence of lace. I found solace in pulling my selves down as far as they could, as if to hide my flushed skin through the transparent fabric. I found the other two Elite and stood beside them in silence as we both watched people file in.

Leila was scanning the room as if she were looking for someone. She wore an elegant violet dress that was the color of lavender. The bust was beaded with pearls and little flowers that flowed to her feet. Her hair flowed down her back. She was innocent, graceful, beautiful, and regal.

I wasn't. I was a pity case with no home or family to return to.

"Fancy to see you here," Danielle murmured beside me. I smiled next to her as my mood lightened. She took my arm in hers as she began to tell me that her siblings would be here tonight.

Among the conversation, the royal family made their way in. Queen America stood next to her husband as her children lined up from oldest to youngest, and there was a woman with red hair with piercing blue eyes standing next to a little girl holding her hand. They stood somewhat close to America with Nathan, all of them wearing gold.

"That must be May and Eona," I said absent mindedly. My eyes scanned upon them as they filed into a straight line across the ballroom floor.

"Who?" Danielle asked with furrowed brows.

I shook my head. "Never mind."

The Elite made their way up to them to curtsy to the King, Queen, and Aaron. I didn't think I was able to even look at Aaron, but when I glanced up, he was smiling and nodding to Leila. I bit my lip and took my place beside Danielle.

"Let the Spring Ball begin!" Maxon said in a kingly voice.

I managed to get Aaron's attention and tried to speak with him to tell him that I knew, and it was okay. It was better to go to sleep tonight to try and ease the pain away from this party. "Hey," I said hastily. "I- I need to talk to you."

He smiled at me and pushed a stray hair from my face. "Hey," he said analyzing my face. "What's wrong?"

My eyes started to well up and my tongue got caught stuck in my throat. The music started up and he looked up and nodded to someone in the crowds. "I have to dance with my mom, but I promise I'll talk to you later, okay?"

I looked up at him with clenched eyebrows. "How many promises are you willing to break, Aaron?" I whispered. My hands clenched his so tightly my knuckles turned white.

He looked down at me with worry. "Elisa, I don't know what's going on but- God," he huffed. "I'll talk to you later. I love you," he said before leaving me alone again.

My hands fell to my sides awkwardly before getting picked up again by Nathan. "May I have this dance?"

The corners of my mouth lifted slightly. "I don't think anybody else wants it," I replied following him out to the floor. We were a bit late on joining in with the music, but we recovered.

"This is my first time actually dancing with you," I commented. "Like, at a ball or formal event."

He grinned and showed his pearly white teeth. "We would have danced at our wedding," he pointed out. I nodded my head and laughed.

"Our one year anniversary is in a few months, now," I reminded him playfully. I could see the lights of the largely lit chandeliers glint in his golden eyes that matched his tie on his constantly black suit. "Can you imagine us actually being married as of right now?"

He shook his head. "I think it all worked out in the end." If only he knew what he was saying. My face fell, but I immediately picked it back up to meet his gaze. The music ended, but the remorse remained. "I have someone I want you to meet."

"Okay," I complied as he took my hand to lead me around the room. A few people stopped to talk to me, and many more to Nathan. Only royalty can wear gold- and he attracted a lot of attention. Eventually we found the same woman with familiar fiery hair.

"Elisa, this is my mother, May, and my little sister, Eona," he introduced. The little girl sitting on May's lap turned her head to look at me and promptly hopped off of her mother's lap. She ran to me and hugged her arms around my hips, which was as far as she could reach. She had dark brown hair with an auburn tint like Aaron's. I stumbled back a little from impact, but I rested my hands on her shoulders.

"Oh- hey there," I laughed. She looked up to me with a toothy grin and held her arms up. I flinched a little because it struck me in a way that reminded me of Francesca. My baby sister did the same thing. I knew it well enough to pick her up and rest her on my hip. "You must be Eona."

She nodded into my shoulder. I giggled and sat down in the chair Nathan pulled out for me. "I'll be back to get us something to drink," Nathan smiled with a hand resting on May's shoulder.

"Well, it is lovely to meet you, Elisa," May said from beside me. "I've heard a lot about you."

"The same goes for you," I grinned. "You have a wonderful son and a beautiful daughter," I said truthfully. I turned Eona on my lap as she toyed with my necklace.

"Well, they didn't get it from their fathers, that's for sure," she laughed despite herself. "I love them. It almost killed me to leave Nathan, but I had to do it for him," she explained with remorse in her eyes.

"You did what you had to. My mom would have done the same thing," I said sadly.

"You did it too, Elisa. You suffered under my ex-husband, and believe me when I say I know that suffering, all for you siblings. It's a damn shame what happened to your sister, but at least you have your brother. At least Eona has gotten to meet hers."

I bit my lip. "The last time I saw my mother, my father, and even my uncle was last year at this ball. I remember they all color coordinated, and I wished that I did too. I wished that I had the same color dress as my father's tie because it brought out the color of our eyes. I remember I told Mother that I had changed, and for the better- and she accepted me. I just," I sighed. I looked towards the ceiling as if that wouldn't allow the tears to fall. "I wish I had told them I loved them, just one more time."

May took my hand. "They knew. I promise you, they knew. Your mother would be so proud."

"Thank you."

Sorry it's kinda short, but you got this chapter a lot earlier than usual.
Love you guys, and thank you so much for your support!

What do you think Aaron and Leila have planned?