Prologue

I woke up tiredly and with an ache in my back. Where was I? What was I doing here? I tried sitting up, but my back sent a searing pain up my back like wildfire. I cried out in anguish, and suddenly, a few people rushed to my side.

"Is she ok?"

"She has to be. She's been resting for a week, America," somebody responded.

I focused my eyes to see America and another woman above me. She had blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail and a bright smile. America was worried; I could see it in her eyes.

"Hi, I'm Marlee Woodwork," she greeted softly.

"Elisa," I returned. "America what happened to me? What happened after I was whipped?"

"Relax; you're fine. Harrison knows you're alive, and he's the only one who knows you're still here other than Maxon, your brother, and us," America said soothingly. "Remember that offer I made you? About being my lady-in-waiting?"

I nodded my head like I understood. "Yeah, of course."

"Well, it's happening. You can't be in the selection anymore, Elisa. You're going through a major makeover so you can stay here."

"What do you mean?" I asked confusedly.

"Let us explain," Marlee sighed.

***************

Two hours later, I was a new woman. Literally. I had been completely transformed. I couldn't even recognize myself in the mirror. I had blonde hair and my violet eyes had been transfixed to be a light, crystalline blue.

I looked back to America and Marlee in my maids uniform, putting my sleek blonde hair in a cap. I straightened out my shorter skirt and looked back at them expectantly, waiting for their reaction.

"Perfect," America said as she looked over me. "Now, who are you?"

"I'm Lia Kanes. I'm seventeen years old, and I'm from Kent. My parents died in a car crash, and I applied to the palace to be a maid. I was positioned to be your lady-in-waiting."

"Good. Now, Marlee is going to show you your room, okay?" America smiled. I nodded my head and let Marlee take me away.

She led me to a small room on the ground floor. It had a bathroom cubicle with a simple shower, a bed, and a dresser. The dresser was fully stocked with maid's uniforms.

"I'm down the hall if you need anything," Marlee smiled.

"Thank you," I said gratefully. I waited until she was gone to collapse on the bed, crying.

A few hours later, I was awakened to the sound of knocking. I composed my self and beckoned them to come in, thinking it was Miss Marlee or America.

Imagine my surprise when Nathan walked in.

"May I help you sir?" I asked, remembering my place as a servant.

"I know it's you, El," he said. "I just didn't think you'd look this different."

"It looks terrible, doesn't it?" I asked, suddenly self conscious.

"No, no," he said, rushing over to me. He took my face in his hands, forcing me to look at his beautiful golden eyes. I felt fake in my disguise. "You are so beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

He pressed his lips to mine, and I let him. I sank into the familiar idea of his comfort, which was really what I needed. It was what I wanted, what I longed for. And now that I have no obligations, I could have it.

"I have to tell you something," he murmured. I pulled away from him.

"What is it?" I asked. I stroked his cheek with my thumb.

"I'm leaving."

"What?" I gasped. "What-what are you talking about?"

"My mom. She's in France," he said simply.

"Nathan, I'm done with the selection! I thought you loved me!" I cried, tears streaming down my face.

"Which is why I have to let you go," he reasoned as he wiped away a tear falling from my eye. "I love you so much, but I can't bear the thought of you being harmed any further because of me. Do you understand?"

I nodded my head and leaned it on his chest. I began to sob. He wrapped his arms around me. "You'll always be my first love."

I looked back at him with tears brimming in my eyes. "Please don't go," I whispered softly.

"I'll come back," he promised. "I don't know how long it will take, and I can't promise that you'll still love me when I return, but I'll come back."

"I love you," I cried softly, my tears staining his shirt.

"I love you, too," he responded with a wavering voice. "Stay strong and live brilliantly. You are so amazing, and the world deserves to know that, okay?" I nodded as another sob escaped my body.

"I'll miss you," he cried into my hair. "God, Elisa, I'm going to miss you so much."

We stayed here, crying into each other until he pulled away. I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him one last time. I put everything I felt into it, from the anger I felt when he kidnapped me, to the fierce love in my heart right now.

"Goodbye, Elisa," he said as he kissed my forehead. "I'll see you again soon."

And with that, the man I loved walked out of the door.

The worst part was, I didn't know if I would ever see him again.

Ok, so quick Author's Note here.

Nathan will probably not make another entrance in this series. I'm sorry to say, but that's the end of his story. He's gone to find his mom, which I think is rather sweet.

Also, I'm not going to update again for a while, but Abby might. I'm gone on a mission trip next week, and they asked me not to bring a phone, so yeah.

Tell me what you think, because I'd love to know!