Chapter 23

The next day I was on the moon. I could hardly keep my feet on the ground and my head out of the clouds, and I wondered if this was how America felt when she organized balls and such. It was absolutely amazing, not to mention the great date I had with Aaron last night.

I was getting my hair darkened in some places by Mary when Danielle came into my room, her hair in a messy bun while her makeup was only half done. She wore a brilliant red gown that flared out at her knees with a subtle train. My cousin didn't need rhinestones or decorations on her dresses; her slender and curvy frame was decoration enough.

"When will the guests arrive?" She asked, putting in one of her ear rings.

"Probably in two hours," I predicted. "Maybe another thirty minutes onto that."

"Do you want to meet up after we get ready? Start welcoming people in?" She suggested.

"That's fine," I said loudly over the hairdryer that had been cut on. She nodded and left the room, and I could see her take her hair down as she left. I sat patiently while Cecelia painted my nails and toes, Diana worked on my makeup, and Mary did my hair.

Cecelia finished first, and she went to get my dress ready. Diana and Mary finished around the same time, despite my long hair being swept up into an intricate chignon with a few falling curls. My dark hair made my violet eyes stand out especially well against my milky white skin, my golden eyeshadow also helped out, too.

I took my dress into my bathroom to change. It was a white gown with golden designs, completed with a golden peony tucked into my hair, curtesy of Mary. I came out into my room, the skirts held up by my manicured hands.

Mary, Diana, and Cecelia looked to me with bright smiles. I flashed them a smile of my own and spun in a small circle, the grand dress flaring out. I laughed softly before meeting their gazes with mine.

"You look beautiful, Elisa," Cecelia sighed. I blushed a lovely shade of pink before saying a polite thank you.

"You did all of the work," I said. "You made this dress. You made all of my dresses, actually. I'm not sure where I would be without you."

The three girls I had befriended stood in front of me with smiles on their faces. These three women made such an incredible difference in my life, and it was because of their dedication and friendship that I always had somebody to turn to.

"Go have fun!" Diana urged, pushing me out the door with one hand pressed firmly against each of my shoulder blades.

The door was shut in my face before I could turn around, and I sighed before releasing a shaky laugh. I pushed a stray hair from my eyes and went to Danielle's door. I knocked loudly three times, and it opened not a moment after the third knock.

"Hey, Elisa. You look great," she smiled.

"So do you," I added politely, admiring her long brown locks and ruby necklace. "Are you ready?"

"Let's do it," she nodded.

We both walked all the way to the foyer where all of the guests would walk in. The colossal palace doors were open, and the fake snow was fluttering inside the foyer, just as I had planned.

For a little over an hour, Danielle and I stood at the front with America and Maxon to welcome people. Sometimes Danielle and I would disappear alone for a few minutes to make sure everything ran smoothly, and aside from a few drunks, everything was going amazingly.

"Ladies, I think you can stop greeting at this point," America said. "We'll be in the ballroom."

"Have a wonderful night," Maxon wished to us. We curtsied before America took Maxon's arm to be led off. America had a green dress on that fluttered behind her, adding elegance by the inch. Of course, Maxon's green tie was nice too.