Chapter 17

"Elisa, I don't know if my boss would be okay with this," my cousin Stephanie said on the phone.

"Think of the publicity the magazine would get," I said persuasively. "You would have coverage from me, and that's more than anyone else would get. I'm trying to avoid the Report at all costs, so it won't be up on there."

"What did you have in mind?" She sighed.

I smiled as I answered every possible question I had for her. I was proud of the outcome, but I had to say goodnight after a while because I was growing tired. I put the phone back down and went to take a quick shower before bed, changing into a nightgown.

I dried my hair and exited the bathroom. Sitting on my bed were three familiar faces. Diana, Cecelia, and Mary were all there to greet me with bright and smiling faces. "Hi," I said sheepishly.

"Please tell me this is the last time you're going to leave the selection. I need to know I have job stability," Mary joked.

I burst into a fit of laughter and clutched the necklace clasped around my neck. "I don't plan on it," I smiled.

"Good. Now go to sleep, and in the morning we'll get rid of that wretched blonde hair," Diana commanded.

I laughed as I took out my contacts. I blinked my eyes as I saw the violet in the mirror, the glow returning to my face. I threw myself into bed, eager to begin tomorrow.

<~>~<~>~<~>

I woke the next day with blonde strands around my pillow. I smiled because today, I was getting rid of them. I grinned to myself as I got up. Cecelia was sleeping soundly on the couch, and I nudged her awake.

"Oh, right. Sorry, I fell asleep here last night," she yawned.

"Don't worry about it. Where are Diana and Mary?"

"They should be in here any second. Go ahead and get a shower while I get your clothes ready for today," she suggested. I nodded as went into my familiar bathroom.

The cool tile felt good under my feet. I opened the door to my walk-in shower, and lathered up. I used the lavender scented shampoo and conditioner, and quickly got out and brushed through my hair. I put on my robe when I came out into the room.

Mary and Diana had come as they all flitted about the room, restocking my closet for the third time. Mary paused when she looked at me, and told me to bring a stool into my bathroom to get started on my hair. I obediently took in a dark wooden stool and say it by my sink.

She used the dark brown dye on my hair, soaking the pale strands. It was close enough to my natural color, and it had dark lowlights to provide contrast. She dried it when she was finished and instructed me to put on the dress Cecelia laid out for me.

I put on the pink dress, smoothing down the fluffy skirts. Diana curled my hair as it flowed freely down m back and over my shoulders. I took the shoes lying on the dresser, and slid them over my heels before latching my necklace. When that was done, I left for breakfast.

I was early, and the only people waiting for me were America, Maxon, and Olivia. She looked rather upset, but I wasn't sure why. She looked up at me through her strawberry blonde hair, laying over her icy blue eyes.

"Elisa?" she questioned. "I thought-"

"Olivia, be polite," America chided.

"Yes, mother," she replied, immediately returning to her breakfast.

Danielle was the next one to enter. She caught a glimpse of me and smiled with closed lips. She took a seat beside me. "It's good to see you back where you belong. Though, I will be missing the dresses you made," she whispered.