Chapter 26

I woke up the next morning and got ready hurriedly. The staff had the day off unless they volunteered to work, which I wouldn't let any of my maids do even if they wanted to volunteer. Mary was spending the day with her boyfriend, Cecelia was with her brother and sister, and Diana went home to her parents.

I was going down to the kitchen to get a cup of morning coffee for Harrison and me. I pushed open the doors, and everything was much more relaxed. However, a few chefs jumped when they saw me and bowed their heads with respect.

  "Good morning, Lady Elisa," I heard Chef Loki say. He had a pan of some sort over the stove and was plating it. I smiled a little to myself as I went to pour coffee in my favorite cup. I turned and leaned on the counter, the edge pressing into the middle of my back.

"You know, Lia always suited me just fine, Loki," I smirked. He gaped at me and dropped his pan of eggs, and he scrambled to pick them up. A smile came upon my face and I covered my open mouth to cover my giggle.

"You-"

"Yes," I immediately answered. I saw him turn a shade of red as he went back to what he was doing, and I was distracted from my task of getting coffee when I saw Landon walk in. He reached for his jacket on the coat rack and began to out his arm in the sleeves. "Merry Christmas, Landon."

He froze a bit when he saw me. We hadn't had a decent conversation since I went to see his mother, and we haven't really talked since. He continued to put on his jacket and strode over to where I was. "Happy Christmas, Elly," he greeted in return.

"Where are you off to?" I asked, beginning to pour Harrison's cup of coffee. He usually preferred the creamier stuff, like me. I put two lids on the cups to prevent them from spilling.

"Charlie and I are going to see Mum," he said with a little bob of his head. He used his elbows to support him as he leaned on the counter, his jacket sliding against the white counter tops. "She hasn't got very long left," he added. I saw his Adam's apple bob a little as he gulped.

"How long, Landon?" I asked sternly.

He closed his eyes and exhaled deeply through his nose. "Six months. Maybe seven with the medication she's on."

"Will you be okay?" I asked softly, my brow furrowed. I put my hand on his forearm.

He shook his head. "No," he croaked. His voice had suddenly become very raspy and his eyes looked as if he were ready to cry. "But I have to try to be, yeah?" I gave him a hug, my arms wrapped firmly around his torso. He hugged me back, squeezing my sides. "Happy Christmas, Elisa."

"You too, Landon," I whispered back. I offered him a smile as we parted ways. I went to the infirmary where Harrison continued to stay. They never moved him to an actual room because of our situation, but if he got a job here when he was older, he'd get a bedroom to himself.

I pushed open the door to his room to see him in his bed, reading. I sat the coffee down in front of him. "Merry Christmas!" I screamed enthusiastically. I shook his legs in front of him as he smiled and put his book down.

"Hey, El. How have you been?" He asked with a smile on his face.

"Great," I beamed. "Um, I have to make a phone call, but I'll be back, alright?" I asked him. He nodded, and I left the room. I asked a nearby nurse if I could borrow the phone, and she happily agreed.

I dialed the number I found in the phone book, and they picked up on the first ring. "Paladia's Cancer Hospital, how may I help you?"

"Hello, I'm calling about Leigh Ann Clery. She's a breast cancer patient there," I said, biting my nail.

"Okay, may I have your name?"

"Elisa Carams," I replied.

"What is your relation to Ms. Clery?"

"Family friend."

"May I ask why you're calling?"

"Is there any way I could move Ms. Clery to a better health package and treatment?"

"Yes, Ms. Carams. There is a package available for one hundred fifty thousand that will absolutely guarantee remission, and it's at the Helpful Hearts Hospital in Angeles. It is expensive, but there is a more affordable plan, but I can't say that it would give her much more time."

"How long would she have with the more affordable plan?"

"18 months, most likely," she responded. "That plan is thirty thousand. It's at the Helping Health Association Hospital in the east side of Angeles."

I sighed. I wanted the best for her, and I was willing to pay for it- even if it cost five times as much. "I'll pay for the hundred and fifty thousand dollar plan, please. I have full coverage, and if we could move her into the new hospital as soon as possible, that would be great."

"Yes ma'am. May I have your billing information?"

I willingly gave her access to my bank account. She told me that she would send me the filing and papers with all of the information, insurance, and everything else. "If you could keep this anonymous or say it was a foundation gift, I would greatly appreciate it."

"Yes, ma'am. Have a Merry Christmas!"

I hung up the phone and sighed. I knew I would have a great Christmas. I just didn't know how Landon's would go. This gift may just be exactly what he wanted for Christmas.