Chapter 22

The past month has been a blur. Danielle and I were so busy preparing for our party, we didn't even notice the time that flew by until we realized that the ball was tomorrow. I was so overly stressed that I hadn't even given myself time to use a thought process.

We were decorating the ballroom for tomorrow. I had dozens of people working inside, and they were working diligently to get everything done. Danielle was handling the outdoor situation, and there were rumors of terribly cold and dry weather.

So, yes, tomorrow was Christmas Eve. Some of the Elite will be going home tomorrow after the ball with their families. Er, all of them except for me. I will be spending my time with Harrison.

"Lady Elisa, where should I put these wreaths?" A nearby maid asked, her arms bundled with white, flocked fir plants.

"Could you drape them window to window? I want them all around the room, please," I asked kindly. She nodded and went to help the other people hang them.

I was decorating the flocked tree. We were decorating it with ornaments gifted to us from a children's orphanage in Hampton, left victimized by the burn. I gave a portion of my inheritance. One million dollars wasn't much compared to the other 10 billion, right?

Anyway, the golden garland was around the tree, striking out regally against the flocked tree. I took the bright star and prepared myself to go up the ladder and place it on the 100 ft tall tree.

I took off my heels, just to be careful. I started up the ladder with four people spotting the bases of the ladder while an additional four were standing to try and catch me if I fell. It was just a ladder; it was completely safe. I'd rather take the danger than forcing upon some innocent person who wouldn't be able to come to this party.

I struggled trying to get the star to sit just right, and my ladder tilted a little. It wasn't much, but enough to make me stumble a bit. Everyone on the floor gasped, but I regained my balance and gave them a thumbs up, signaling that I was okay and ready to come down.

I started my trek back, careful not to fall. I wore a bigger dress today with a ton of tulle under the top skirt, so I had nothing to worry about scarring anyone for life. When I was about 11 feet from the floor, I lost my balance and fell.

I screamed mid air, thinking in my head that I might be alright with a few broken limbs. Maybe a concussion if I landed on my head. The stupid doctor side of me came into effect before I was caught.

I opened my eyes that were clenched shut to reveal that it was indeed Aaron that had caught me. He looked relieved as he gave a heavy sigh. He hugged me tightly before putting me back down on the ground.

"Thank you," I said semi-shamefully.

"You shouldn't go up that high, Elly," he scolded. "You could've gotten really hurt."

"Well, I'm fine now. See?" I did a little circle to show him that I was entirely fine.

He smiled and shook his head. He wrapped me into another hug and kissed my forehead. "Please don't do that again."

"Climbing the ladder or falling off of the ladder?" I asked playfully.

"Either," he scoffed.

"No promises," I chuckled. I kissed his nose before he took my hand and led me around the corridors and hallways. "Where are we going?"

"It's a secret," he whispered to me. He looked over his shoulders before whisking me into his arms. I squealed and laced my hands around his neck. "Close your eyes," he demanded.

"Why should I trust you?" I cocked an eyebrow at him. He had such a dramatic attitude contrast than from last month.

"Because I said so," he snickered. I willingly closed my eyes, putting my full trust in him.

I felt us travel up steps until I was greeted by cold, crisp air. He put me down on solid ground, and I opened my eyes. We were on the rooftop, where we had our first date and where he told me he loved me for the first time.

"You're such a romantic," I said with a smile. I leaned my head on his chest and laughed a bit. There were lights on the railing, vining the cold metal. A couch was set up along with other porch furniture, all completed by a fire pit.

"Just don't tell the others that," he joked. I shook my head as we both sat down on the couch. He draped a blanket over us as the December chill set in. The fire blazed for a while, keeping us warm even through the blanket.

"Will I get to see much of you at the party tomorrow?" He asked with a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"I don't actually know. I'm probably going to be busy making sure everything goes smoothly. Aaron released a groan as his head lolled onto my shoulder. "Don't be like that. You get to spend time with me without the Elite over Christmas. That means I have you all to myself."

"Selfish, aren't we?" He grinned.

"Territorial," I corrected slyly. I laughed and dug my head into a comfortable position on his chest. We laid there for ages until the fire died out and pure body heat and a blanket wouldn't do it for me.

"Maybe we should go inside," I suggested.

"Probably," he laughed.

I got up and stretched my limbs, which had become stiff from sitting for so long. I folded the blanket quickly, draping it across the porch furniture. I glanced back at the dimming embers before Aaron's arms encircled me, and we went back into the castle.

"I love you," he murmured next to me.

"I love you, too, Aaron," I beamed back at him. He gripped me tighter to him and brushed his lips across my hairline. My skin tingled as we went all the way down to my room.

I glanced at the peony on my door, sad that we had gotten here so fast. Time always seem to fly past me whenever I was with Aaron, no matter what we were doing. He held my hands as we swung them back and forth.

"I don't want to go," I whined, looking at him endearingly.

"One more day," he said, quickly pecking my lips. "Then I'm all yours."

"Well, I don't plan on sharing," I added. He kissed me again, and I could feel his smile while his lips were pressed on mine. He pulled away from me and looked at my eyes, as if he was searching for something. "What?"

"You," he smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Ok," I promised. I kissed his cheek briefly before opening my door a crack. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Elly."

-

-

-

-

Okay, so after today, updates will be slower. I only have two more chapters written, and I won't post again until I have at least 27 chapters written. I'm sorry, but it's just so that my chapters will be well thought out and of good quality.

As always, it's great to hear from you guys. Feel free to comment, because I see EVERY comment!