Chapter 16

I was in a secluded corner of the gardens with Landon as I explained everything to him. I told him about everything, from the kidnapping to now. He sat while he took everything in, the cold October air nipping at my bare arms.

"I just can't believe I didn't recognize you sooner," he stammered.

"That's the entire point," I sighed. "Now I'm probably going to have to leave."

"Leave?" He questioned. "What do you mean leave?"

"I can't stay here now that my cover is blown. The reporters would have a hay day with this!"

"Where will you go?" He asked sadly.

"I don't know," I exhaled. "Probably Fondèan. America wants to set me up there."

"Will I see you again?" He asked.

"I'm not sure," I said sadly.

"What am I going to do without my best friend in the entire world?" He cried dramatically.

I giggled. "You'll live," I teased. "Thank you for understanding."

"Thank you for telling me," he added.

"Could you do me a favor?" I asked him, looking into his bright blue eyes.

"Anything, Elisa," he replied. I smiled at the sound of my name on his lips. It was good that one of my friends knew the truth.

"Will you get America for me?" I requested. "Please?"

"'Course," he chirped. He got off of the bench he rested on. "Just bring her out here?"

"Yep."

"Alright, but if Aaron kills me first, make sure Charlie tells mum," he joked.

"Will do," I laughed as his figure got smaller. I saw him go into the castle, disappearing from my view.

I took my time alone to embrace the nature around me. I was in Penelope's garden, and lush rose bushes were surrounding the pavilion, their white petals in bloom. Soon, the frost would come and end it.

I took off my mask and took my comb out of my French twist. I kicked off my shoes and rested them against the cool marble. I laid back and relaxed as the sound of crickets chirping soothed me.

"Elisa?" A voice called from the steps. I snapped my eyes open to see Aaron with one foot on the pavilion floor and the other on the top step.

"Don't," I stammered as I rose from my seat. I gathered my things in my hands and prepared myself to run. "Please, just don't."

"Why did you run from me?" He asked softly. His brow was furrowed, and he wore what he did to the ball, except he shed his white coat and mask. His hair was now disheveled.

"Why would I stay?" I replied in an equal tone. I felt tears prick my eyes, and I didn't know if I should run or cry. "I'm not wanted here."

"I want you here," he said, nearing me. I shrank away from him to show my distance. "You're still wearing it."

"Wearing what?" I asked, playing stupid.

"The necklace," he grabbed my wrist and made me look at it.

"Well, it was mine to begin with," I said, contracting my wrist.

"That's not why you wore it," he said knowingly. "You wore it because you still love me. You haven't moved on from me either. You're hesitant to start a new life, scared of what I would think. You don't know if you should love again."

My breathing quickened as my chest heaved. I backed away to the point where I was against the pavilion railing. I gripped the edge tightly with one hand while I held onto my shoes and mask with the other.

"You know how I know that?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "Because I have too."

I searched his eyes for answers as tears spilled from mine. I clenched my jaw tightly as my shaky breathing quickened. He unexpectedly grabbed my waist with one hand, and cradled my head with the other. He pressed his soft lips to mine as he used to.

I melted into him, succumbing to his warm embrace. He brushed tears away from my cheeks with his thumb. Warmth shot up through my body as he deepened the kiss, smiling against my lips.

He pulled away, leaving me with a warm tingling sensation on my lips. His blue eyes searched my entire soul, as if my eyes were a window to my past. He brushed stray hairs away from my face.

"Aaron!" America gasped.

He turned around to see his fuming mother with a confused Landon beside him. "I'm sorry, but this can't happen! She's already been dismissed."

"I don't care," he growled, putting an arm around my waist and tugging me closer to him. "If this is to find love, then tell them I've found it."

"That's not how it works, Aaron," she said sadly.

"Mother," he said sternly. "If she can't stay, then get ready for Marlee's selection because I won't be taking the throne."

"Don't do this," America warned him. "Go see your father. Now!" She commanded.

He pulled me along as we awkwardly left the pavilion. He wouldn't let go of me for a second, and my feet stung a little as they hit pebbles. "Are your feet alright?" He asked, not looking in my direction.

"It's just a few pebbles," I grumbled. He looked at me and picked me up, my feathered skirts fluttering around. "I-it's fine," I stuttered. People gave us odd looks as we passed by, especially since I wasn't a member of the Elite.

"If it's fine, then you'll let me carry you," he contradicted calmly. I stayed silent the rest of the way with my hands in my lap as Aaron stopped in front of Maxon's office. He pushed open the doors and put me down on the ground.

"I want her back in," he stated to his father.

"Aaron-" Maxon sighed.

"Dad. Either you out Elisa back in, or you pass the throne to Marlee. It's your choice."

"Aaron, be rational," Maxon said while putting other things away. "Elisa, why don't you go back to your room to rest."

"She's not leaving my side until I'm assured she's a member of the Elite," he scowled.

"What will the public think?" Maxon asked. "They're going to rebel, Aaron. We can't make them think this is ok."

"Then don't make them think of it that way. Think of it as a phoenix rising from the ashes," he suggested.

"I have a cousin that's a lead editor of news at Illèa Weekly if it would help," I added softly.

"Call her, and set something up. Aaron, I need you to inform the staff to get her room ready, and tell your mother. I have to figure something out now," he sighed deeply.

I nodded my head and left the room with Aaron at my side. Everything was going to be okay, and I actually believed that.

"I love you, Elly," he said while kissing my cheek.

I looked up at him and grinned. "I love you more, Gatsby."

-

-

-

Okay, this is the last update until Friday or Saturday because I have to go to a camp. Sorry, guys.