Chapter 7

I was in the kitchen, getting my morning coffee on the day on the Italian tea. I dumped in my cream and leaned on the counter while it cooled. I arranged my hair to fall out of my cap just right, and sipped on my coffee.

"Ey, Lia," Landon's brother, Charlie, grinned as he approached me. "Why you so dressed up, eh? Are you serving at the Queen's party?"

"I'm going to be helping her during the tea, yes. It's just my maid uniform, Charlie," I said while taking a soft sip of my coffee.

"What Landon wouldn't give to see you in that dress," Charlie teased. I kicked his shin and shook my head at the naive teenager. "Or without it," he added.

"Charlie!"

"Aye, I'm sorry," he said, throwing his hands up in mock surrender. "Why'd you turn him down? He seemed pretty bummed out yesterday when he came home."

"I'm just not ready for that again," I sighed, stirring my coffee with a small straw.

"Again?" He cocked an eyebrow and lifted a corner of his mouth up in a lopsided smile.

"I was engaged," I confessed. He seemed incredibly shocked to hear this information because he stumbled back a little bit. "It didn't end well," I said, biting back tears.

"What happened? If you don't mind, that is."

"We weren't right for each other. It just wasn't meant to be. He hasn't been talking to me, but it's not like he would acknowledge who I am," I said, choosing my words carefully.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry, Lia," he said with sympathy.

"Ah, I'll be ok," I said with a reassuring smile. "Don't you have work to do?"

"There aren't dishes to clean right now, but don't worry, there will be plenty of dainty teacups to hand wash after the tea," he said with a grimace.

I giggled and downed the rest of my coffee. "Have fun with that. Tell your mom I said hello, alright?"

"Will do," he smiled.

I went outside to be exposed by the harsh sun. Guests were beginning to arrive, and I needed to be ready by America's side. She told me more detail to my fake backstory in case anyone asked.

"Who all is coming, anyway?" I asked as I poured myself a cup of tea.

"The Italian King and Queen, their two sons, and a few distant relatives of theirs. I also invited my sister, Kenna, and my brother, Gerad. They're probably going to bring their kids."

I nodded my head as I poured America a cup of tea. I put in two sugar cubes and stirred it up before handing it to her. As she took the small cup, a tall woman with black hair and olive skin approached us.

"Queen America, it is lovely to see you," she said in a thick Italian accent. She had a bright smile on her face as she hugged America.

"Nicolette, it's just America," she giggled. "Lia, this is the Italian Queen, Nicolette. She's a dear friend of mine."

"It's lovely to meet you, your majesty," I said with a polite curtsy.

"And you as well, Miss Lia. Tell me, where are you from, dear?" Queen Nicolette asked.

"I'm from Kent. I was orphaned, but the palace took me in."

"Mother, who is this?" Marlee asked as she approached us on the arm of none other than the Italian Prince, Lucca. Or Luc, as he requested I call him. "I don't believe we've met."

It had been weeks since I had seen the young princess. She was as radiant as Miss Marlee, the woman she was apparently named after. I hadn't seen Marlee Woodwork in a while, either, but rumor has it that she and her husband went on an expensive get away to the Swendway.

Look, the maids gossip.

"I'm Lia, your highness," I said, bowing my head at Marlee. I hoped that she wouldn't try to look past my fake blue eyes and blonde hair at the real me. It seemed to have worked, fortunately.

"Wonderful to meet you," she said with a smile. Her rose colored dress suited her. I hadn't realized it before, but the young princess was especially maturing. It was plainly seen on the arm of Italian royalty.

We all lounged about in the gardens, or at least they did. I stood the whole time making sure that guests were taken care of. I saw that a few women were running low on their die is, so I grabbed a teapot to go fill them up.

"Excuse me, ladies, would you like more tea?" I asked politely.

One of them turned to look at me, and I calmed the look of surprise on my face when I saw that it was Leila. Pepper was next to her in a cream colored dress, and Danielle was opposite of me in the dress I had designed.

"Yes, please," Leila smiled. My hands shook as I poured a little bit of tea in the three of their cups. "Do I know you? You seem a bit familiar."

"Her name is Lia," Danielle smiled. "She made the dress I'm wearing right now." I felt my cheeks heat up, and I tried to cover my face. "Don't be so shy, Lia! Did you make that one, too? The one you're wearing?"

"Yes, Miss, I did," I responded, offering a small smile. "I didn't quite like the plainness of the original maid's uniform."

"Well, it's about time somebody broke tradition," Leila beamed.

"Seriously," Pepper added. "It was getting a little drab. I make my maids take off their caps as soon as they walk in their door, obligation to the uniform or not."

"I'll leave you ladies to enjoy yourselves," I said, trying to get away. I went back over to the table and sat the teapot down.

"Lia," a voice called behind me. I turned and saw Danielle approaching me with a fistful of skirt in her hand as she walked. "Or should I say Elisa," she whispered in my ear.