Chapter 6

I showed up to America's office with my coffees and cap in hand. She was writing a letter, of some sort, as I sat down the coffee on her desk. She looked up and smiled.

"Thank you, Elisa," she smiled.

"You're welcome," I said, returning the smile. I pulled my hair back and put it into a bun, so now it could fit into my cap.

"Oh my god, Elisa, what happened to your face?" America gasped.

I froze. A handprint could not last that long. "What do you mean?" I asked calmly.

"There's a purple bruise on your cheek. You had better explain, young lady," she commanded in a stern voice. "For crying out loud, tell the truth!"

I told her everything starting from the delivery, all the way up to when she yelled at me to get out. I told her how Danielle helped me, but that was where I ended it. A few tears rolled down my cheeks as I retold the event, keeping my gaze low.

She walked to the door and opened it with force. "Somebody get my son right now!" She yelled into the hallway. I could see people scrambling around, not sure who would go and retrieve the young prince.

She sat at her desk, her breathing quickening. Her arms supported her weight as she leaned on her desk. She took her crown off and slammed it on the desk, making me cringe.

"America," I choked. "It's really not that big of a deal."

"Don't say that," she said softly. "I'm a mother. I know the situation inside and out; I think you forget, I was in the selection, too. I had my share of fights, but this is unacceptable."

The door burst open and Maxon and Aaron came into the room. "America, my dear, I could hear you yell from my office," Maxon said, distressed.

"And I could hear you from the kitchen," Aaron added.

"Why were you in the kitchen?" America asked. "Nevermind. Look at her!" She said, flinging a finger at my cheek. "Look at what somebody has done to her!"

Maxon narrowed his eyes a little. "Is this-"

"This is Lia," America finished. Maxon nodded.

"Who did this to her?" Aaron asked, examining the purple bruise on my face that was an ugly shade of violet.

"Lia, would you mind elaborating a little?" Maxon asked.

I retold the entire story, but I left out the part with Danielle. I repeated word for word the words that came out of Kiara's mouth, and how se tried to get Danielle's dress. When I finished, Maxon was shaking his head and Aaron had a look of disbelief.

"Kiara? Are you sure?" Aaron asked. I nodded my head, unable to speak. "Bring in Lady Kiara, please."

We waited Around for what seemed like an eternity. I sat in America's desk chair, slowly sipping my coffee. Maxon and America were speaking in hushed tones, and Aaron couldn't hear them. I figured they were talking about me.

A knock sounded on the door, and America beckoned them in. Kiara walked in wearing the same dress I had seen her in earlier. The only difference was, she was wearing a smile instead of a frown.

"You needed to see me, your majesty?" Kiara asked politely. It made sense to me now, why she was so kind to me when I was still Elisa. Elisa was a two, but Lia is a six.

"Yes, Lady Kiara, I need you to confirm the events we've heard today," America said acidly. "We have reason to believe that you've harmed a staff member."

Kiara caught a look at me and glared at me through her sideways glance. "I don't mean any disrespect, your majesty, but who is to say she's telling the truth?"

She was right. Who was to say I wasn't lying? I had done enough of that, after all. Suddenly, a thought came to mind. "There are others I think she mistreated. After interacting with her maids, I think that she's treated them unfairly. Ask Ashley, her head maid. She should be in the dressmaking room."

"Why would you believe a bunch of little sixes? It's not my fault they don't work hard enough! They don't do what I tell them to, and it's what they're supposed to do as servants! It's ridiculous!" Kiara ranted. America held a straight face while Maxon and Aaron looked taken aback.

"I think that's all we need," America concluded.

"Lady Kiara, you are dismissed from the Selection. Please pack your bags; somebody will retrieve them in the morning before your flight back home," Maxon said professionally.

Kiara glared at me. "This is all your fault!" She screamed at me. She released a cry of anguish and made the most dramatic exit I've ever been honored to see.

"Well, I think that's settled, then," Aaron said dazedly.

"Lia, I deeply apologize for the events that have occurred," Maxon said in acknowledgement.

"It's fine, your Majesty. I'm glad that she didn't have the opportunity to become princess, for a prejudiced Queen makes for a terrible rule," I said with as much confidence I could muster.

Aaron looked at me and smiled. "I'm sorry, as well, Miss Lia," he said, nodding towards me. "If you'll excuse me, Mom," he said before leaving. Maxon took his leave, as well, closing the door softly behind him.

"You would have made such a great Queen," America smiled sadly.

"Maybe in another life," I sighed.

"Elisa, would you attend the Italian Tea with me? I want you to be there."

"What would I wear? My maid uniform?" I asked.

"Well, considering how you've modernized them up a little bit, I think your maid uniform will do just fine," she winked. I smiled at her acknowledgement of my recent style changes.

"Thank you, America."

"Anytime."

-

-

-

-

Ughhhhh, it's 12:50 a.m. and I have church tomorrow. The stuff I do for you guys, I swear.