Guitar

When I hear the soft strumming of a guitar, something happens inside of me. My ears perk up. My mind calms down. My heart opens with happiness. My eyes close to feel the song starting to play. And then...I smile.

The night was filled with soft music. Most of the hyper moments were over, but there was still an hour left for the social dance.

And through it all I didn't see Trent most of the time. I would usually spot him at another table, talking to his friends or other girls. I saw him even dance with girl on the dance floor.

But now, he was nowhere in sight.

I figured he was probably helping with special effects backstage as the room filled with pink lights shaped in hearts.

So there I was, Journal. Sitting there alone. Feeling slightly alone.

The window caught my eye. I moved towards it. I wanted to find that certain star. The one that Arlene told me to wish on.

Starlight, Starbright, first star-

"Krissa!"

I turned around, interrupted from starting up the "wishing star" song. It was Juan.

He was out of breath, "Where...have you...been?" He gulped, heaving in and out.

"I've been sitting down over there." I gestured with my hand, "What's the matter?"

He inhaled, "There's a...problem...outside. I...was going to ask...Arlene but she's...busy."

I remember that Arlene had said something about the lights outside the school. She said something like they weren't working right. Electric wires broken? Sparks can lead to fire. My mind was on alert.

"What's wrong?" I asked urgently.

He gestured for me to follow, as he ran out the door. As fast as my heels could carry me (I really hate wearing high heels, Journal), I carried up my skirts and follow. I made it out the door just in time to see Juan push out of the school's front doors.

I sighed. Running in heels was hard work. But I trudged on, hoping to make sure the night wasn't going to be ruined by this. Arlene couldn't be disturbed. With one peep about something wrong, she would zoom right out of her happy moment with Leon.

And I didn't want that to happen, Journal. She deserves a nice, relaxing dance with Leon.

I pushed at the doors of the school, stepping outside. I looked out at the lights that lined the border of the door frame. They were perfectly lighted to light up the pathway down to where, I could see, Trent was sitting.

A line of thoughts moved through my mind:

One, Juan had lied to me. The lights were working perfectly.

Two, why was Trent sitting outside?

Three, why was I feeling suddenly different?

When I looked at Trent, I felt something spark within me. Maybe it was because Arlene didn't like him anymore. Maybe it was because she thought me and him could be together. Maybe it was just simply the way Trent looked in the moonlight.

He was playing softly on his blue guitar. He had taken off his suit coat, showing his long-sleeved white shirt beneath, in which he had rolled up the sleeves. The bright moonlight seemed to make the Trent's figure glow with a soft blue.

Ooh...it looked like the perfect picture.

Why, Journal? Well, because...