"Chemistry"

Chemistry IS a science. A "complicated" science depending on who you are asking.

Sorry Journal, I wasn't able to write. It's been...a few weeks now since the last time I wrote. But, honestly, there wasn't much to write until what happened this evening.

I was studying by myself in the library. Arlene was a few tables down, tutoring a younger student on some math equations. The place was quiet, and I had the place to myself.

At least I thought I did.

My chemistry book was at my side, and I was taking notes from it when someone quietly sat next to me. My chemistry book was the only thing that separated us.

"So...we have this chemistry between us." It was Trent.

I glanced up at him and laughed. "Trent, this is just chemistry. It's a science." I hoped I wasn't smiling too wide. Because his joke was making me feel more kilig.

Smiling, he pointed to the cover of my chemistry book. He had stuck a pink heart right above the title, "Chemistry". He chuckled, "Yup, that's a science. A mystery yet to be unfolded."

We both laughed so hard, Arlene had to shush us.

He's just so corny! Sometimes, I can't believe that he would ever be like that. He always looked so blank from afar. But now, I wasn't watching from afar. I was watching him as a friend would.

Because he was my friend.

I took off the heart and handed it to him.

"It's okay, you can have it." He gave it back to me. I didn't want to argue, so I just shrugged. Besides, I needed a remembrance of him in this journal, right? So I placed the heart here in my journal. Don't tell my mom, she's going to tease me for the rest of my life.

Anyways, back to the story...

I looked at him, "Why are you still here? I thought you hang out with your friends after school."

He stretched, "Our music teacher needed help putting away all of the instruments. So I helped her."

I smiled. That was one reason why Arlene started liking him. He was always so helpful. And I guess that's why I'm falling for him too.

He eyed his watch, "Oh man, I'm already late." And then he stood. He comes, pokes a joke, and then leaves? Hmm...interesting.

"Oh, did you need anything?" I turned to him.

"Nothing really. Why?" He quizzically looked at me.

"Well, then why did you come to see me?" I asked.

He paused, thinking. And then a smile spread across his face, "I just wanted to...see if you would laugh at my corny joke. And you did." He made a fake salute, "Bye." And turned to leave.

I just smiled and shook my head. Was he really just doing that? Or did he have another reason to see me?

Well, there was no way of knowing.

Because he was already gone.