Accelerated Speed

What would happen if you break the rules? Something always goes wrong.

Something beeped, turning her windshield a yellow hue. 

"Uh oh." Ria whispered, but it was loud enough for me to hear.

I turned to her, "What?" She kept on looking at a small window that popped up in the corner of her windshield. I squinted to read the small words.

WARNING! Time Frame Obstacle. ERROR 14. Refrain from going to this time frame. WARNING!

"Hold on!" Ria kicked the speed up a notch and pressed a small red button that was hidden behind a secret gear. Suddenly, the tricy lurched into speed mode. Well, journal, that was what I thought it was. Because the tricy's front wheel was literally smoking. Because Maria's knuckles were turning white as she twisted the bike's handle grips with all her force. Because my heart felt as if it had taken into the air because of the speed. And because I was feeling sick.

"Close your eyes." Maria called out of nowhere as she whipped down the road. Suddenly, the tricycle jerked, but when at a normal pace again.

"What?" I blinked. Was this some kind of test or something? I clung to the handrail in front of me as rain started to crash heavily on the small tricy. My right shoulder started to soak with rain. I shivered as I looked at Maria. She looked like a fearless warrior trying to fight the rain. One of the mysterious characters of this warm stranger.

"Close your eyes! Close your eyes now!" She yelled through the blinding rain that seemed to come in suddenly.

I did as I was told. The rain's loud drumming in my ears seemed to pound harder. But then, I didn't feel the rain hit my dripping wet shoulder. Suddenly, I realized my shoulder didn't feel wet at all.

I opened my eyes in shock, to feel burning sunlight rage into my eyes. I closed them again. My breathing was in short gasps. I covered my eyes with my hands and slowly opened them again. I took off my hands slowly from my face to let my eyes adjust to the bright light. It was sunny, and there was no more rain. Then why did I still hear the pounding of the rain?

I found my feet under me, realizing I was standing. I was in my costume for the Kadayawan Festival dance. When I looked around, I jumped a little. My best friend was right next to me, smiling.

Soon, I saw what was making the pounding. The drums were echoing, like the rain, as several students (in costume) banged them loudly.

I had gone back in time. Faster than last time. What had happened?

"Krissa, get down!" My best friend caught me by the arm and pulled. I squatted next to her.

There was no time for questions. Well, in my mind, there was. But answers couldn't be found in the moment. Because, well, I could make up my own answers to the questions at hand.

Will I make the mistake? Or will I not?