Gorgeous

That compliment every girl deserves: "Wow, you look gorgeous."

"Arlene?" I said in a whisper.

She was crying, hugging herself as she walked out past me. "Everything's ruined! This can't be happening!" She said, moving this way and that as if in 'frustration' mode (you know, Journal, that mode that comes to girls just before they break down and cry).

I followed her out, trying to catch her arm, but missing. "Arlene, I know. I know it's hard to take it. But it's the truth."

She pushed the doors open to the school gym. Soft music played as an announcer tested his mic.

I looked up to see everything being set up. Chairs were still being placed around tables. Plates were being set. And the hollow thought echoed through my mind...

They still don't know that Trent's gone...

Arlene spoke up behind me, "Just look at these flowers! They look like they just came from a funeral! The lights outside the school are barely working right! And just look at these hearts! Someone bought fewer pink papers and more purple papers! Who would get purple paper for Valentines Day?" She ripped up a purple heart with her two hands as if it was the end of the world.

But I blinked. I raised an eyebrow.

Did she not know yet, Journal? That Trent was d-

"Wow, you look gorgeous."

Someone spoke behind me.

My heart froze. My mind froze. My arms froze.

But my legs were thawed enough to turn around. To turn around and see who had spoken. A familiar voice. The voice of the person that just had...died?