43: Sam

Chapter 43: Amy's POV: Sam

Just like Tyler predicted, I went running back to Jake the second the school bell rang; and guess what? I didn't give a shit. I don't need Jake, but I like being able to depend on him, so that's what I do. I know my own strengths and I know I can defend myself, but why bother when I have someone to help do it for me? I'm lazy, I know, but I'm also in love so it's fair.

My head was not in check at school yesterday, but not because I was on my own for the majority of the day. Zac and Caleb actually involved me in a conversation today, rather than reducing me to sit chewing my sandwich in silence. As for Tyler, he was nowhere to be found. Not that I was looking, because matter of fact if anything, I was avoiding him. Even the two boys didn't know where he was, and they just had to ask me about it, but of course I had no clue.

It was only right of me to quickly tell Jake as soon as I saw him about Tyler's not-so-shocking confession. Thankfully, he was so pleased to see me at his door apologising that he didn't care- well, that's partially an understatement, but he didn't lash out or get too noticeably stressed. Good move, Jakey. There was also another element to his happiness.

"You got your cast taken off?" I exclaimed, grinning wildly.

"Yeah, and now I'm all sexy again." Jake flirted wiggling his eyebrows.

He was also on the mend, which was a sweet melody to my ears, because if the weather was as dreary the following day, I'd have had no way to travel to school whatsoever. I needed a car, but that shit's expensive.

"Was school any different?" He asked, with his arm around me securely whilst we were sat on the end of his bed. "Besides from the fact that your Romeo wasn't there."

"You make me cringe." I pouted at his personal reference. "But now that you mention it, there was such an off-vibe. Like everyone was talking about something, but I couldn't make out."

"Wanna make out now to make up for it?" He quickly suggested, meddling with my words.

"You're ill, Jake." I retaliated, chuckling.

"So are you if you're saying you don't want to kiss me."

He never lost his horrendous sense of humour, through sickness and health, but I didn't object to his offer never the less.

The next day, I woke up in an extremely good mood. I woke up at six in the morning in a good mood. I don't know what alien creature had taken my soul and swapped it for a happy-go-lucky chick's, but you know, I wasn't going to complain.

Ticarra was up extra-early, and mum was whipping something up in the kitchen as per usual, so I invited Jake around for a quick breakfast before school. Apparently, some kids don't have time for it; all I can ask is- how?

He clambered in through the window, with two good, healed arms at long last. Leaping from pane to pane was a regular occurrence in our relationship, but all I could think was can you imagine what an outsider would think if they spotted a late-teenage boy diving into my room freely? Jake was wearing a maroon sweater which completely engulfed him. Looked comfy. Couldn't wait to claim it as my own.

Without saying a word to me, he clasped onto my hand and pulled me down my stairs, through the hallway, into the kitchen (chanting 'breakfast' repeatedly), where my mum was stood floating by the cabinets.

"Always a pleasure having you over, Jake." My mum warmed, half-sarcastically.

She was just playing; she loved him.

"Always a pleasure being here." He responded with a gleeful smile.

"Always a pleasure third-wheeling." Grumbled I, plainly.