thirty-three

Luke held Michael's hand as the two quickly swam down underneath the water line. The blue-haired boy was practically dragging his partner along, helping him go faster.

Luke had yet to tell his parents that he had the color of his scales yet and that he had found his soulmate but he wanted to surprise them. Michael held tightly onto Luke's hand as the two swam quickly towards Luke's hometown. He liked that Michael was finally going to meet Marina and Ana.

They were swimming relatively quickly and Luke knew they'd be getting to his home soon.

"This is so cool," Michael breathed out, seeing the small town they were approaching.

There were little houses made out of giant rocks and shells and pink and red and blue flowers lined the sides. It was so beautiful to Michael. He saw a few merpeople poke their heads out of their houses to see the new guy who was coming with Luke. It was all so interesting to him. There was a whole other population living under the sea of intelligent life forms and the human world knew nothing about it.

Michael was in awe as a small fish swam past him. Everything was so different here. He never imagined that any of this would happen to him.

Luke lead Michael to the door of his home and knocked on the old ship plank softly. He didn't hear anyone swimming his way and knocked again.

"Andrew, did you here someone knock?" a voice sounded louder and Luke knew it was his mum. He had missed her.

The door opened and Liz stared at her son. She let her eyes trail over him before she let out a quest and embraced him tightly.

"My baby! You're here! And with blue scales! This is incredible. Is that your soulmate next to you? Wait, is that Michael? The boy you wouldn't shut up about?"

Questions fell out of Liz's mouth quickly and it took Luke a bit to process everything she had been saying. He didn't have time to respond before she added some other type of question. He was blushing because his mum was so energetic but also because she had spilled that Luke liked talking about Michael. A lot.

"Stop Mum," Luke mumbled, covering his hands with his face.

Liz cooed and ushered her son and his soulmate inside. The two went and sat down on the couch while Liz went to grab Andrew.

"This is incredible. The town is so small and everything's so cute. I love it here Luke," Michael said. He then proceeded to press his lips against Luke's cheek and heard awes coming from the window.

He pulled away and saw two girls swimming in through the window.

"Ana! Marina!" Luke said excitedly. He got up from the couch and swam quickly to his friends and hugged them.

They hugged back happily and Luke felt so happy. He hadn't seen his best friends in so long and it felt so strange not gossiping with them every single day.

"We had heard in town that they saw you coming back with a boy and we just had to come see if it was true. And you have your scales! They're so pretty!" Marina said, hugging her friend tightly.

"Ladies, this is Michael. He's my soulmate," Luke said, pointing towards the merboy who was still sitting on the couch.

"Um, hi," Michael said awkwardly. He waved towards the two girls and they waved back. He could tell they were soulmates as well by the matching lavender scales.

"Luke's messaged us so much about you! You're even cuter than the picture he showed us of you! Oh my god," Ana rambled.

She quickly swam over to the couch and flopped down next to Michael. A bit closer than what Michael was used to. She couldn't help it. Merpeople were naturally loving and close people.