thirteen

Luke was shaking on his way out of the locker room. It was the team's first match of the year and Luke was confused. The team had practiced a lot and Luke was just joining but he was swimming in more events than any of the other members.

He had no idea on how he was going to do in the races and he was terrified that he wouldn't do as good as the others. They were going against so many people and Luke had the longest races out of all of them. He had the five hundred meter freestyle and the five hundred backstroke. They were the only styles of swimming Luke could get down. The others made him feel strange since he wasn't used to swimming like that.

"Luke, are you okay? You look a bit pale-well paler than normal," Calum commented, coming up behind the blonde boy who was pacing back and forth and fiddling with his fingers.

"I'm so scared. What if I do horrible? It'll be all my fault and the team will want to gut me like a fish," Luke said sadly, still playing with his fingers.

"Luke, you're the fastest on the team. You'll do amazing," Calum reassured. He gave the smaller boy a hug before pulling away and pointing to the crowd that had showed up.

"And look, Michael and Ashton are here to cheer us on!" Calum said pointing at the poster that Ashton was holding. Ashton was excitedly waving it around and Michael had his arms across his chest and was frowning. Luke looked a bit to the right and saw his aunt sitting as well and she waved at him.

"Well, at least Ashton did," Calum joked.

Both boys walked over to where the team was standing and joined the huddle that was forming.

"Boys, I know it is our first meet and we will do great. I know we will. Try your best and keep swimming even if you start to cramp. This meet will be quick and everything will go well," Coach Adams said excitedly, giving his pep talk to the boys. He rambled a bit more and the boys were soon putting their hands in the middle and doing a little chant.

Luke walked to the end of the swimmers line. He was going to be the last to swim. He was so nervous.

"Relax Luke, you got this," Calum said.

They adjusted their goggles and swim caps, helping the other one out to make sure it was perfectly placed. One boy from each team went up on the white board and all of a sudden Luke realized how real this was becoming. Luke watched as the boys leaned down and Luke had to admit, the boy on the rival team had a really nice butt. He would never act upon it but he got distracted. He was brought back to reality when the sound of the air cannon sounded and he watched as all the swimmers dived into the water. Luke joined Calum in cheering his teammates on as each dove into the water and finished the laps they were supposed to do.

Luke was getting more and more nervous. He watched Calum dive into the water and he was next. He climbed up onto the platform and prepared for Calum to return. They were in third at the moment and hopefully Calum would make up for their lost time. Luke started cheering on his friend and watched as he completed the four laps he had. Luke had to admit Calum was good. He was fast in the water and was graceful with his turns. Luke wasn't as graceful just yet but his speed made up for it.

Luke watched as Calum made his way back from his final lap and lowered himself so he was ready to jump in. They were still in third place but there was less distance in between them. Calum came to the edge and Luke jumped in quickly, hoping to get in front of the other swimmers.

Luke pushed his arms in and out of the water, allowing the water to create a bubble around him as he swam. Luke didn't focus on where he was placed and just continued swimming. He had done this multiple times during practice and knew he was prepared. He went up for air and heard a few people cheering his name but continued pushing forward in the water.

Luke was so scared. He was on his final lap and was doing backstroke. He pushed himself a bit more, not knowing where he was placed and kept his arm out hoping he'd finally touch the wall. A few strokes later his hand touched the wall and he stopped swimming so he wouldn't ram into it.

Luke lifted himself out of the wall and saw the team come rushing towards him.

"Luke Hemmings has won it from his team! Coming in a full four seconds before any of the other swimmers! Incredible!" Luke heard the announcer say. He was hugged by everyone and he felt like he was on cloud nine.

"You did amazing Luke," Calum said, walking up to the boy and hugged him.

"That was the fish's gills. I can't wait to do it next week!" Luke said happily, he couldn't believe he had managed to outswim to competitive swimmers. Luke just did it for fun.

"We definitely have to go out and celebrate with the guys," Calum said patting his back before walking away to his boyfriend.

"Okay," Luke said excitedly, turning away as Calum walked away to talk more people as they came up to congratulate him.

Luke turned to the stands and saw his aunt running getting up and walking towards him but his eyes flickered over and saw Michael frowning on the bleachers. Why couldn't the black haired boy ever be happy for Luke? Michael really had Luke gutted.

***

This literally took me like eight decades to write since I don't really know how swim meets work. I still find it cute though. Muke drama WILL HAPPEN next chapter. I'm so excited. I love muke //that hate each other//

-malumdictionary