seven

Michael was almost one hundred percent sure he was going to punch Luke. The blue-haired boy would not shut up. He was rambling on about one of the questions they got in Algebra II that mentioned fish and Michael was so annoyed.

It was almost lunch though and Luke would go and bother Ashton instead. Michael couldn't wait for the bell to ring. They had about twenty minutes left and Michael was counting down the seconds.

"Did you know that fish have tastebuds all over their bodies?" Luke asked, tapping his own excitedly against his textbook.

"I don't care," Michael groaned, pulling on his fringe. He didn't get how one person could be so annoying.

Michael raised his hand, asking his teacher if he could go to the bathroom after Luke had told him that sharks were the only fish with eyelids. The teacher allowed him to go as long as he answered a question on the board once he got back.

Michael shrugged his shoulders, knowing it'd be easy to answer a simple polynomial. He got up from his and Luke's shared desk, leaving the classroom and making his way to the nearest bathroom. He passed a few of his friends- well more acquaintances, saying hi to them and walked into the bathroom.

He didn't actually have to pee. He just stood in front of the mirror for probably three minutes, examining himself. His hair was a mess today. He woke up late. Michael had noticeable bags underneath his eyes from staying up until three in the morning playing video games. He took a deep breath, knowing he had been there the average time it took him to pee and decided to leave. The bell was about ring anyways and if he didn't meet up with Luke, Luke would piss himself.

Michael exited the bathroom and moved forward four or five feet before his body collided with one much smaller than his. The person he ran into fell onto the floor. Michael saw the blue hair and recognized the 'oh fish guts' that had escaped the boy's lips. He truly couldn't escape Luke.

Michael hesitated before reaching forward and grabbing Luke's hand, pulling him up. He felt a strange warmth in his hand from where Luke's grip had been but ignored it. Luke was annoying.

"Luke, why did you follow me?" Michael huffed, starting to walk back to the classroom.

"The she-bell is about to ring in five minutes. You were in there a long time and the teacher asked me to come and get you," Luke responded.

"Do you not remember the teacher's name?" Michael asked, kind of surprised. He always made sure to know his teachers but Luke seemed to not care at all.

"Nope, not like I'm going to have her as a teacher for long," Luke said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Oh, okay," Michael said awkwardly.

They made their way into the classroom and sat down at their desks for the last five minutes. The bell rang and Luke smiled, grabbing his backpack and practically skipping out of the classroom.

"Luke, wait for me. Ashton will behead me if I lose you," Michael grumbled, pushing past a group of students and getting to Luke who had managed to dodge everyone mysteriously.

"Slow down dammit," Michael grunted, he grabbed onto Luke's backpack strap and Luke froze, making Michael run into his back.

"You could've just told me to stop," Luke huffed, turning around to look at Michael.

Michael sighed in annoyance, not responding and walking forward to where his friends were sitting. Michael set down his backpack and Luke followed.

"You guys have to help me out here. I can't deal with fish boy anymore," Michael said, motioning to the boy who was paying attention to a fish sandwich a girl had walked by with. He seemed disgusted and Michael had no idea why.

"Don't be mean to Blue," Ashton said, hitting Michael on the back of the head for possibly the eightieth time since they had befriended Luke.

"Yeah, just because he might be a bit different doesn't mean he's not cool and really adorable," Calum said, patting Luke on the arm and smiling at the blue-haired boy. Luke just started to pay attention because Calum had touched him and he was now praying that he'd get his scales. He couldn't wait to get home.

He knew Calum was his soulmate. He had found out the day prior that Calum was on the swim team and that practically screamed 'soulmate' to Luke. Why wouldn't the swimmer be his soulmate? Luke had seen Calum swim as well and would admit he was really good too. They could go swimming together all the time and hold hands and have merchildren and Luke couldn't help but sigh happily at the thought of their future.

"Stop defending him. I've been your friend much longer and I should be the one being defended," Michael grumbled.

And if Luke made Michael's water bottle explode when he took a sip, who was to know?

***

Luke was so happy that he didn't have gym that day. He had been so tired, staying up late and looking up stuff about the human world. He would've drowned if they had gym. Of course, they would've only been swimming but he didn't want to do athletic-swimming at the moment. He wanted to leisurely-swim. Luke was glad that his schedule only had him in the physical education class three days a week. The next class would be tomorrow and Luke wasn't excited to see mostly mediocre kids and Calum try and swim.

Luke stripped out of his clothes on the way to his bathroom and made it to his special bathtub. He opened the tap up and allowed the tub to fill with salt water. Luke climbed into the water, leaving against the rim and smiled widely once his tail started to form.

Luke closed his eyes, hoping for the best, and opened them exactly a minute later. A shriek left his mouth when he saw the scales implanted into his tail. It was only his third day on land and he had his scales. Luke couldn't be happier. This confirmed to him that Calum was his soulmate.

Salty tears rolled down Luke's cheeks as he tried to contain his emotions. He messaged his parents and his brothers and his old school friends and his aunts and his uncles and his cousins and his neighbors and his grandmother the news.

He finally had scales. At seventeen years old and he finally had his scales. His scales.

"They're so beautiful," Luke whispered, letting his fingers run over the rough now rough texture of his tail.

Luke had been waiting for so long and now he was one step closer to finding true love and to finding his soulmate. Luke officially loved living on land.

***

I have like two other chapters for this written but I want to wait to post them until I can actually continue writing this but I'm finishing PCD and If You Don't Know first since I only have like four chapters left each in them??/?? I'm excited to start writing this again though in February. I'm trying to finish two stories in six days. 

-malumdictionary