one

Luke ducked down, hiding behind a giant piece of coral. He had gone too close to the mainland but he hadn't realized until he saw a scuba diver pass one of the rocks he had been lounging on prior. The scuba diver didn't notice of course. Luke had managed to swim behind it before he saw anything. Anything meaning his tail.

Luke waited, watching the scuba diver swim around the same pile of coral seven times. He got to a point of boredom where he counted.

"Oh fish guts," Luke muttered, before deciding to just risk it and swim away from where the curious swimmer was. He had started getting closer and Luke wasn't about to give himself away.

Luke checked once more before he took off swimming, going deeper and farther away from the main coast and towards his town.

Luke sighed, taking a deep breath and calming down once he stopped moving as quickly. Moving 70 miles in ten minutes was hard work. Luke didn't understand why he swam quickly home when he could've just gotten there in twenty minutes instead. He knew he was always in a rush though.

Luke opened his house door and was instantly greeted by the smell of burning kelp.

"I swear to cod if you've burnt the kelp again, Jack," Luke muttered, knowing it was most likely true.

He swam into the kitchen and of course, his brother was holding a pan with the burnt sea vegetable on it.

"You're so dumb," Luke said, rolling his eyes and watching his brother throw the burned crisps from the pan into the trash bin.

Jack ignored what his brother had said and asked him a question that knew would offend him instead.

"So, have you found your soulmate yet?" Jack asked.

Luke rolled his eyes, knowing his brother would ask that before responding, "Does my tail look flipping scaly to you? Do you see the hues that make it a lovely blue color that matches my hair?"

He flipped up his tail and pointed at it as emphasis. Jack just laughed and swam over to his brother. Luke was jealous of him. He had gotten his scales at the age of six when he pushed over his playground sweetheart, Melody, on the shell hoppers and at that moment their scales became defined. They kissed behind the kitchen play set later that day and their tails turned a lovely shade of emerald green. Jack's hair was a mint green while his fiancé's was still the dark black color she had. Only rarely would one of the soulmates have the hair color of their tail but it seemed to happen with all three of the Hemmings' sons.

Ben had the worst luck with his though. His tail ended up being a soft, pastel yellow along with his soulmate's so the Hemmings parents swore for the longest time that he ended up blonde like them. As he got older, his hair turned to a silvery blonde and it complimented him better once he found his soulmate and it matched her tail.

Luke wished that he had found his soulmate so quickly and easily. Everyone in his family had found their soulmate before the age of ten and here Luke was at seventeen years old without his soulmate. He felt so left out. He just wanted to fit in and find true love; the love of being with his soulmate.

He knew his soulmate was out there somewhere but he was just not in his life yet. Not because he knew about Luke and despised him but because he hadn't been able to find Luke. He may me impatient but Luke knew he just had to wait until his soulmate came around. He shouldn't rush it. It would happen on it's own.

And Luke strongly knew, that once he found his soulmate, he would be the happiest merteen in all the open seas.

***

I have so much planned for this story that isn't already prewritten so far. It's just so cute I Xx

-malumdictionary