twenty-nine

"Michael, what did you do?" Daryl asked. Those were the first words to exit his lips as soon as Michael and Luke walked in to the man's office. Luke had only met Michael's dad once in his life and it was only for a few seconds. They closed the door behind him and made sure to lock the door after.

Daryl raised one eyebrow and motioned for the two boys to sit down. They were both dressed horribly for the prestigious office they were in. Luke was in sweatpants and one of Michael's sweatshirt and Michael matched similarly.

"What?" Michael asked. He was confused by why his dad was giving Luke a dark glare.

"At least try and cover your hickeys before you come over," Daryl commented, motioning to the two boys. Michael's hand flew up to his neck and traced the path that he had remembered Luke had nipped at.

"Oh," Luke squeaked out. The blush on his face was bright and he moved to start hiding behind Michael. It didn't work since their chairs were quite spaced.

"I mean I'm not surprised since you two are teenage boys but at least I expected you to not come visit me after. Especially at my work," Daryl said, making Luke blush more. Michael glared at his dad and felt like he was going to kill him. He knew his dad was an open man but he never figured to this extreme.

"I mean we had to come visit you! Michael and I are soulmates!" Luke blurted out the sentence and he soon wanted to take it back. Even more so when he saw the stone cold expression sent in his direction from Michael's dad.

"We're not talking about this here. Let me get my things and we'll speak at home."

***

"I'm guessing you want an explanation," Daryl sighed, looking over at the two boys that were on the leather couch in his home office.

"Yes please," Luke said softly.

"I mean I kind of just sprouted a fucking tail and found out I'm a merman. That'd be nice to know why," Michael added.

"Don't cuss," Daryl said. The older man rolled his eyes and walked to the book case. He pulled on one of the books and the wall instantly moved, showing a small closet that had a few things stored away.

Daryl pulled out a box from the bottom and placed it on his desk. He opened the lid slowly and pulled out an object.

"This was your mum's," he said, holding up a small comb, "I stole it from her on the playground when we were four years old and she tackled me, giving us our scales."

"I'm jealous. I had to wait to get my scales," Luke grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. It just slipped out but he heard Daryl chuckle so he knew he hadn't overstepped any boundaries just yet.

"Sorry about that. I'm assuming you know about Michael's mum," Daryl said looking at Luke, "She was the love of my life. We were preschool sweethearts and moved to be high school sweethearts and we got married right after. We lived in the ocean but in our twenties, we had some teenage angst left in us and moved on land. Our parents were so mad but we were blinded by us being in love."

"She is the only woman I've ever loved. When we were here and living on land, I was watching Michael one day. Your mum went to go back to visit the pod again. Your aunt had just given birth. On her way there, she got caught in a fish net and a shark found her. I don't want to give the details but your aunt found her," Daryl continued. He had stopped looking at Luke and was now looking at Michael.

"It hurt so much. Watching your mum be buried in the ocean. I left you with one of my coworkers that day and watched the love of my life be buried in the sand. I immediately started to resent the ocean and never wanted anything to do with it. I didn't want to go to the place that reminded me of her. I cut off all ties with it and I guess I have you my fear of the ocean while doing so. I'm sorry that I never told you but it hurts so much to even think of it," Daryl explained, "We had you and we knew you'd be a merman too but I just tried to hide it. I'm so sorry that I did. I just wish it could've been different. I hope you're not mad."

"I'm not mad," Michael confirmed.

Michael had a few tears rolling down his face. He was a bit mad but he understood where his dad was coming from. Michael felt the warmth crawl through his body again as Luke grabbed his hand. He looked over and saw Luke crying too. A bright light filmed the room and soon the two had their tails.

"Please can you both flip on to the floor. Scales are so hard to clean off of leather," Daryl said, looking at the now two mermen sitting on his couch.

"Is this going to happen every time I cry? I don't want to grow a tail every time I get a bit sentimental," Michael groaned, watching as his tail fin did a little flop.

Luke wiped under his eyes and Daryl couldn't help but chuckle. He liked Luke and thought he was a suitable boy for his son. He had thought that Luke was a bit fishy- suspicious -when he had first met him and now it was confirmed.

Michael looked over at Luke who was holding his hand over himself.

"What are you doing?" Michael asked, watching as Luke started to move his hand.

"Trying to dry them out. Actually maybe I shouldn't do that. Your dad is here. I'll just stay with a tail," Luke said quickly, moving his hand away.

"I'll get you guys some towels and some clothes again," Daryl said, chuckling at the two that were on the floor.

Luke dragged his way over and sat down closer to Michael. He placed his hand on top of Michael's and Michael pulled the blue-haired boy closer. He pressed his lips softly to the smaller boys' and Luke giggled at the feeling. He couldn't help it. He was so happy.

"Get a room," they heard Daryl's voice call out. Two towels landed in their laps and clothes was thrown on to the couch. Then a box of condoms landed next to it.

"Oh my cod," Michael muttered, his face turning bright red.

***

This took way too long. I've been so busy with driving school and I'm hoping to get a lot more time over the weekend.

Anyways, I'm going a giveaway soon on my other wattpad account and I'll be posting the details to it soon but I want to know if you guys would be interested. It'll be a homemade notebook that'll be personalized once the winner is randomly chosen. There will be a cute lil bracelet and some cute pins. There will be some conditions for it but they aren't too bad. It's literally just following me on Twitter so I can dm you if you win and following me on wattpad.

I'll be posting something about the giveaway once I have it set up and I'm super super excited about it. I can't believe that this is at 36k omg I love you guys so so so much. Xx

-Lee