twenty-three

"Thank Poseidon we're not going to get sushi," Luke sighed, watching as Michael's car pulled up into the local McDonalds.

They had went, changed out of their swimsuits and into regular clothes. Michael definitely liked his skinny jeans more than his swim trunks that he had bought about three years ago for a trip he took with his dad. He didn't use them at all since. Maybe only once and that was to sit out.

The two boys walked up to the cashier and Luke paid for their food, as he had promised. Michael decided to carry the tray and lead them to a booth in the corner of the room.

"Tell me about you Luke. I only know that you come from across Australia to get away from your parents and that you lived on a boat for a million years. You're very reserved," Michael said, taking a fry and shoving it in his mouth.

"I am not reserved," Luke scoffed, "You hated me for two weeks."

Luke and Michael normally just joked around when they hung out, not many deep conversations coming from it. But Luke had a point. Michael hadn't listened at all when Luke had told Calum and Ashton about himself. He spent that time grumbling instead.

"Okay. That's true. What's your favorite color?" Michael asked.

"I like blue, like ocean blue," Luke answered, making Michael chuckle. He wasn't surprised that that would be Luke's answer.

"What's yours?" Luke asked. Michael had to really think. He didn't really have a favorite color but he knew Luke wouldn't take that as an answer.

"I like dark blue. Like a royal blue," Michael replied, thinking after a bit. His mom's old sweatshirt was that color and it always reminded him of her when he wore it.

"I like dark blue too. Technically, I like any blue."

"That's nice to know. Any siblings?" Michael asked.

"Two brothers. Jack and Ben. They're both older and they have their soulm-I mean girlfriends. Well technically Ben is married, but still," Luke rambled a bit.

"Did you mean to say soulmates? And why are you talking about girls? I thought you liked boys," Michael said chuckling.

"Yeah. I am. And yeah. I did. It's just something my family believes in. You find your soulmate and that's who you spend the rest of your life with. You don't really date around a lot. You meet them and you just know," Luke explained vaguely.

He wasn't about to spill the coral to Michael that he had a tail and could breathe underwater. He didn't want to scare his new friend away.

"That's interesting. I've never heard of that. My dad doesn't really talk about love and I assume it's because of my mom," Michael said, Luke sadly nodding his head.

"But enough about me, what's your favorite animals?" Michael asked.

"I like dogs," Luke responded.

He thought they were so cute and fun to go swimming with and just feel them nuzzle your hand and feed them fish. (Just because Luke didn't eat fish didn't mean that dogs didn't.)

"What's your favorite breed of dog?" Michael asked his follow-up question.

"Shark."

"Of fucking course," Michael groaned but he couldn't help the smile that placed itself on his face.

Luke was just so into the ocean and everything about it and Michael admired it.

"What about favorite band?" Michael asked, he had seen Luke wear a few band shirts but had never really asked the boy about it.

"Sleeping With Sirens. Because I've slept with sirens... I mean I've slept with boys and it wasn't that bad so I assumed the music wasn't either," Luke said, rambling and he realized what he said was incorrect.

"You've never listened to Sleeping With Sirens? They're really good. I can't believe you can say they're your favorite band if you've never listened to them," Michael scoffed.

"I have to," Luke argued, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"What's your favorite song?"

"Captain Tyin' Knots," Luke answered.

"Oh god," Michael groaned again, placing his face in his hands.

"It's a good song," Luke defended, he actually liked that song.

"If you like Sleeping With Sirens, you'd probably like Marianas Trench," Michael said.

"I'll listen to them if you listen to them with me," Luke stated and Michael nodded his head. He knew that Luke would make him anyways.

"You've got yourself a deal, Fishy," Michael confirmed.

***

This chapter is meh but the next chapter will be better. I wrote this on the plane since it was a seven hour flight and I barely had a lot to do. I read a book and updated this and Anonymous.

This is my last update until Monday of next week. (After Easter.) (Please do not comment and ask for an update. You read my rant last chapter. I'm dealing with family stuff and will not be on at all. I am finally putting myself first. Do not complain.)

I can't believe this is at 23k reads though. That's incredible. I love you all so much. Xx

-Lee