Chapter 5 friends for the night

Mackenzie Peters

"We're going out shopping for food and school supplies since you start Monday. Call us if there's any issues." My aunt said after everyone left. I nodded just wanting to lay in my bed and think. They both walked out the door and drove off to the store. I shrunk down into my bed. Why didn't I delete that video? Why did austin have to look at it? Why did I kiss him? My thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell ringing. I groaned and trudged down the steps opening up the door to nothing. Stupid kids ding dong ditching these days. Going to close the door something caught my eye, a shoebox was sitting neatly on the welcome mat with a note taped to the top of it. I picked the box up curious as to what was in it. I closed the door and ran up to my room gently setting the box on my bed before shutting my door. I sat down next to the box feeling my weight slightly sinking the mattress. I ripped the note off the top and slowly opened it, reading it six or seven times because I didn't understand what I read. I set the note neatly to the side and opened up the box, seeing dozens and dozens of folded papers with crummy handwriting scrawled across it. My handwriting. These were all the notes I had written him. I pulled out a small ripped piece of paper that had a different handwriting on it. Austin's. I squinted attempting to read the smudged numbers. It was the day we met. The absolute best day of my entire life. The day I realized that life could get better for me, but only if austin was in it. I was broken out of my thoughts from the ding of my phone. Grateful to whoever interrupted me before I broke.
It was Robert.

'Hay best friend ;) I'm back from Texas can I cash in on that best friend time?'

I laugh to myself and reply back.

'Sure what do you wanna do? xx'

My phone buzzes telling me he replied back.

'Well me and the boys heard knotts scary farm is starting this weekend. Wanna go babe? xx'

'Haha sure babe what time?'

'Be there in 5'

'Kay'

I laughed, of course the boys wanted to go to knotts scary farm. I walk over to my closet and pull out a pair of black skinny jeans. After putting them on I pulled out a white long sleeve v-neck teeshirt and went to the bathroom to fix my makeup. I finished just as the doorbell rings. I grabbed my phone and my purse sprinting downstairs and flinging open the door.
"Give me a minute rob." I say as I run back to the kitchen and scribble down a note for my aunt and uncle saying I was going out and I would probably be back tomorrow. Once I pinned it to the fridge I skipped out the door to the waiting range rover full of teen boys waiting to be scared.
"Hey boys!" I say jumping in the car into the only open seat available. Next to austin. I pretended it wasn't a big deal and sat down. Pulling out my phone i saw I had a message from Sarah.

'Are you okay with sitting next to austin? I can text Alex to have him switch with you? xx'

'It's fine boo <3'

'Okay let me know :*'

'Sure thang ;)'

I heard Sarah laugh behind me and I smiled.
"So Kenzie how's it been? I've missed you gorgeous!" Robert said from the front seat, I see austin from the corner of my eye and he doesn't look happy at all that Robert called me gorgeous. Well he needs to get over it. Lots of people do now and I'm not his.
"It's been good rob I've just missed my best friends." I say smiling.
"We've missed you beautiful!" Robert says and then jumps into a conversation with Zach who's driving. I look behind me to see Alex and Sarah being all lovey in the backseat and I smile. I love them together, they were the definition of the perfect couple. I sigh and turn to the window looking out at the cars zooming past us on the freeway. I pull out a pair of earbuds from my purse and plug them into my phone letting waiting for superman by daughtry flow through my earbuds. As I soak into the music my phone buzzes. Without checking the name I open the message and read through it.