Chapter 32

His fur was thick black and eyes almost blood red. Well that is the way my mind perceived it to be. Wild dogs weren't really common here at creekside so I was startled when it set its eyes on me. There was no where to run behind me and if I started on my side it would cut me off. Just as it started to sprint towards me there was a loud bang that spread in the air bringing me to my knees. What just happened?

The cloudy grey sky was full of black birds that appeared up from the trees and scattered in all directions. The once monstrous animal that threatened me whimpered away quickly allowing himself to be consumed in to the thickness of the trees. I got up and traced back to see what the sound came from only to catch a view of Xavier coming towards me from a good 50 feet away.

As he came closer he became more visible and my eyes finally laid on the origin of the noise. He had a dull black gun in his hand. My eyes widened in horror and I shouted to him. "Are you crazy? You could've hurt him!"

He looked back surprised. "You could've gotten rabies, sheesh."

"Put it back where you found it." I ordered. "Wait..where did you find it?"

"A simple thank you would do." He grunted. "In the basement, it was in a box that said do not open." He laughed. I tried to reach for the gun but his arms lifted it to a height where my arms couldn't as he eyed me. "Thank you, but its dangerous so put it back, cmon." I started walking back when he encased my hand. "Umm-" He cleared his throught and said hesitantly. "What about the clubhouse?"

I took my hand back and said. "Maybe later."

Xavier showed me the rusted box he got the handgun from. It also contained a shiny silver magnum with a brown handle, I recognized it from all the RPG video games Hudson would play. I didn't know Grandpa had guns here..

The basement opened up to the living room that mainly consisted of a fireplace, tv and sofa set made very cosy with the brown wall paper. We walked in on Hudson and Cara who were cuddled up together which very honestly just made me want to gag. I had had my fair share of walking in on people having their 'romantic moments'. The air felt dense and I stepped outside without waiting for Xavier. He came out in the next 5 minutes and sat on the stairs where I was too, leaning on a post to the side.

"The carnival is only till tomorrow, I'll take Dawn then." He said trying to make a conversation as I nodded looking at the moist soil at the bottom of the steps hiding a cigarette. "What carnival?" Chase popped up out of no where.

"Its down the road." Xavier said holding his head. His frustration sometimes was very amusing.

"Wanna come?" I looked up to him and asked. "Sure! But before that we're gonna pop in the creek for a swim!" He tugged me across the front yard as I tried to let go. "Chase! I don't want to!" When we were far enough from the porch he finally let me go.

"What the hell Chase..." I said holding my arms where he tugged it hard. I looked up to him and saw Xavier coming through the reflection of his eyes. "Listen don't trust him plea-"

I was taken aback by his words which suddenly made me question the man walking to us. "Don't drag her anywhere." He said in a condesending tone taking me by the hand to mark 'his property'. I fended it off suddenly and he looked surprised. "I'm sorry I need a moment."

I left Chase and him there and came back inside the house. What did he mean by that?

All I wanted to think of was maybe he was jealous but somehow in Chases fearful tone I saw something more. Was love the only illusion?

I retreated to my room for the rest of the day and dug my head in to my course books. I rarely opened them, the lectures in my institute were good enough but I needed to find something to keep myself occupied in but no how could the mnemophobic leave me?

My mind kept racing on to James. My paranoia let me think Grandpa was involved somehow which was completely false I knew it. Still the mnemophobic made me doubt everyone and there was nothing I could do about it.

Xavier knocked and came in the room and I blurted out. "I wanna go to the carnival!" He raises his brow. "Whats wrong?"

Dammit. "Nothing."

"Right.." He replied sarcastically.

"Did anyone tell you that you are annoying?" I said angrily and I probably shouldn't have.

He pursed his lips and headed towards the door. Realizing my mistake I blocked the door with myself. "Why'd you kiss her?"

He let sighed and placed his arm on the door.besides me resting on it. "I was supposed to ask you but I didn't. I guess I wanted to test you or something. Then..you and Chase..it was hard to see."

"Why'd you try to run me over?" I asked with my head still hanging down. He leaned in halfway. "That was your fault."

"Why'd you laugh at me that day in the hospital?"

He was breathing on my cheek now and his deodrant that came from his vest over his navy blue shirt captivated me. My heart started to pump faster missing the ocassional beat. I looked up and gazed in to his chocolate brown eyes. "You looked nice." He whispered.

My eyes fell to his chest and they stopped as I felt the colour drain from my face in horror. I reached for the pocket in his vest and pulled it out. My body started to tremble and I started to stutter.

"W-w-why do.. you hav-ve a white ink-k pen?