Chapter 9

Serenity's point of view

The whole household would normally be awake by 9, however, I wanted to leave before the estate got too crowded. The balcony extension of my room gave a view of the front of the house. I saw grandpa leave early, somewhere in the hour I woke up. He would always leave with Clyde for the office and wrap up any delayed work. Grandpa was lucky to have Clyde, they were some what like an old couple, no matter how strange that seemed.

I never met his wife; gran, I would have called her. From what I heard from Ryan, she was a pure gem of a person. They were Forlan's parents, but cared for Mika as their own too. She passed away before I came in to the family, Grandpa always says it was her time but the only regret he ever had was that she could not see this family now, in his words, she'd be happy for the immensely strong bond between us siblings. Grandpa's face lights up at the sound of her name and with it come tales of their adventures together.

After grandpa left I slipped in to a casual t-shirt and jeans and took my empty growling stomch to the kitchen. I started out with the batter for waffles and was somewhere in between making the first batch when Hudson showed up. It was quite surprising as he would normally be the last to wake up.

" Good morning," I smiled and quickly turned back to the waffle maker.

"Morning," He replied. He leaned over the counter top to see what I was making and grew impatient after smelling the waffles. " Those smell mouth-watering...make some for me please?" He said using those big blue eyes of his to his advantage.

" Don't worry I'm making a lot. Hold your horses though they might be a while."

" So you need a lift to Village? Or do you just wanna take the car yourself?" He asked suspiciously changing the topic.

"Hmmm, depends on why you're asking." I said mischievously and winked at him.

" I have some work in the area, drop me maybe?" Hudson said.

" No, you drop me, I'll walk back, I like it out of the house more than in it."

" Haha, I'm sure."

We had our breakfast and I slid the rest of the waffles in the microwave with a note on the counter as to where they were. Grabbing my things, we walked outside and got in to the Audi. We had only been a couple of minutes out when Hudson started talking again.

" So how's Elaih doing? I heard he wasn't feeling well yesterday." He said. What? I didn't know that...  

My face flushed out of pure embarrassment. At that moment I knew I couldn't answer, all the distress radiated from my face. I clenched the bottom of my shirt trying to find something, anything at all to say but there was nothing. I had a tight congestion build up in my chest and for the while that we were quiet, I felt as if I couldn'd breathe. It was not long after that he broke the silence.

" You never went," Hudson said in a calm voice, almost a whisper as he turned to me. " Did you?"

I shook my head.

" Where were you then?" Hudson demanded to know. " I know Mennigin covered for you, but you have to tell me."

I let out a long breath. " I was at the cemetery." I replied. It wasn't a lie, I really was there..

" What? Why?" Hudson stopped the car on the side of the road.

" I had to visit someone." Looking away from him I prayed that somehow he would let go of the conversation he held on to.

" Serenity. I don't buy it, maybe Ryan should ask.." He started.

" No! I'm not a kid to be looked after like this!" I yelled turning back to him. " Where is my freedom when I can't even go out without answering a thousand questions when I come back?"

I saw my chance and got out of the car. I wanted to run away as far as my feet would take me but Hudson was only five steps behind. He grabbed my arm but turned me gently. Even his gentle grip stung my arm. I never got around to looking at the bruise from yesterday's incident, but I could clearly picture the red and blue patches of colour from the pain. I carefully took back my arm from him and held back the tears. Ouch.

" Listen don't run away like that. I'm sorry that we've been on your nerves kiddo but we just want you to be okay, where ever you are." He said apologetically.

He was right. They've done nothing but care. " I had a friend, before the trial, her name was Swari. I walked by where she used to live and just felt sick. She died a long time ago and the time i spent with her...it all came back. I can't describe it. So I went to her grave. To pay my respects." Keeping my eyes on the ground I continued. " I just...just miss her."

In the next moment I felt Hudsons firm arms around me, locking me to him. " I'm sorry kiddo. For everything."

I embraced him, something I rarely did to Hudson, but as annoying as he could be, he was just being family. I still hadn't lied to him, but they still couldn't know the truth about her. After all this time I was still scared, but had my family to protect..

They can never know