Chapter 31

Serenitys point of view

Sometimes our lives just seem so twisted that finding that ray of hope in it all seems easier than choosing to accept it. Did it make me a hypocrite for wanting to believe his words after all he's said and done?

What sort of slavery was this? That my heart kept me attached to his every word and would ever hope that they were true and even after being deceived, it would fall back in to place still aching for his presence. I did not understand it, but my heart controlled me now, not my mind. I guess that is what happens when a perfect reality is so close thay you can touch it. The heart wants what the heart wants, there is no other explanation.

We let the coldness between us reduce and were adamant on starting over.

Nan had announced that she would depart from Kingsview within the coming week. Xavier, surprisingly, chose to say on account of Kingsfort.

Grandpa said that we all needed a break from this house and suggested that we spent the days before Nans departure at the creekside cottage between main Kingsview and the construction site for Kingsfort. The clubhouse and cottage would be taken down so it wouls also be a farewell to those family heirlooms.

It was a week after the 'confession' that we were scheduled to drive there. Cara was coming too now that Hudson and her were officially together so I invited Chase along so that he wouldn't feel left out. It was only after I did that I realized, in regards to Xavier, it wasn't the best choice. The night before the trip I sat on the island in the kitchen digging in to a box of icecream when he showed up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked surprised to see him at this hour when he should be at his own home.

"Ask your Grandpa, he insisted that I stay here tonight.." He said slightly annoyed. "What are you doing here?" He targetted me with the same question.

I showed him the box and sarcastically replied. "What do you think?"

"Right, sorry." My reply was a bit rude so I offered him a spoonful of vanilla to which he refused. "All prepared for tomorrow?"

"I guess, there's a carnival near the cottage in that week, I thought I could take Dawn. He's been...weird with me." I stopped and thoughy about it for a moment. Dawn had been different with Xavier ever since our...'disagreement'.

"He heard us that day.."

"When?" I looked at him making a don't-you-remember face. "Oh.."

"Dammit, what should I do?" I shrugged which clearly annoyed him. "Go talk to him I guess."

"What should I say?" I thought for a second then replied. "The truth."

I offered to stick by his side the next morning when he did talk to Dawn but seeing Chase at home deviated him from the topic. I had forgotten to tell him last night. Great.

"He's coming too?" He eyed me.

"Yeah, I invited him." I answered trying to act casual. He replied with a simple "Ok" and brought himself to focus on Dawn. He was shooting at the hoop in the basketball court when Xavier and I interveened.

"Hey buddy!" Xavier yelled.

"Oh hi."

They were trying to speak quietly but I could hear them although their voices were faint.

"Hey listen I need to share something with you"

"Yeah?"

"Me and Ren had a fight." Dawn continued dribbling as if he didn't care. "Ok."

"I need help, she's friends with me, but she doesn't really like me."

"Why should I help you? You made Ren cry."

"I know, the thing is I was really jealous. I really like Ren."

"You don't make the people you like cry."

"Thats where I made a mistake. I promise never to do that again."

"She likes you too you know. She's just scared." My mouth hung open, he was getting too smart for a five year old. "Don't make her cry."

"I won't I keep my promises. I'll never leave her." Dawn gave him a hi five and agreed to help him while I stood there pretending to have heard none of it.

The cottage was nothing like the estate because firstly it stood in front of a beautiful creek. Second, the interior was old fashioned and not properly maintained. The floor would dip and rise in places giving out a squeaking noise when someone stepped on it. There was a basement with a huge boiler in it that would would sound worse than a tractor. Wild bushes and weeds forted the house and engulfed it in to the forest green environment. Despite all its shortcomings it felt cosy, at least to me and Grandpa it did but Xavier and Ryan did not have mutual feelings. They thought that the place was a drag, which was good in a way that they both agreed on taking it down.

I unpacked and raced to the clubhouse. It was further down the creek that formed a bridge over the water. There were diving boards on both ends and the enterance was through stairs that took us 10 feet above the water. Even after all those years the clubhouse was as sturdy as ever.

The silence was broken with a violent growl. I turned back to see the 4 legged demon lock its blood red eyes on me. It inched closer with every bark and growl until it was ready to accelerate and pounce on me. I stood there with my heart in hand completely motionless waiting for it to hit.