Chapter 24

Business Today

Charity Gala

7:30 p.m. onwards

Plus ones are compulsory for all

11:08 pm

Everything was wrong, how could I let my guard down like that? The perception of happiness was merely an illusion, one moment you're on cloud 9 and in the next you come crashing down. Perhaps happiness was the oasis in the middle of the desert, heaven to those who found it and never returned to the oppression from once they came leaving all others lost in endless mirages. Happiness just wasn't true, not for me.

4:30 pm

Everyone buzzed around the house that was more alive at this hour than in all of summer before it. I hadn't seen Xavier all day which was probably because he had to attend the morning rehersal. Everyone else seemed so displaced, rushing here and there, everywhere! Beth had a whole wardrobe collection arranged so she could pick the best outfit to wear. They were all the same style, a coat and a long skirt, but in an extensive array of colours that she had to choose from. There was a whole different section for hats, in fact we lost Dawn a couple of times under a few. Grandpa and Beth were going together and I found that heart warming, but Grandpa was close to pulling out the bits of hair left on his head when they were deciding on the colour combination they were going with. Apart from their arguements, the mountain of trial clothes at our house, losing Dawn in them and the many workers in our fairly quiet estate, things were normal, well at least what was left. I tried to look everywhere for Ryan but there was no sign of him, it was like he moved in to a different dimension.

Hudson, fashionably late as usual, came with rather shocking news. He had asked Cara to the gala! Cara had a personality that did not match mine, but I suppose she was a good match for my ego absorbed brother, the only downfall was that she would be spending more time around the house than I would like. Recent events would definitely have accounted for her joyous and anxious behaiviour while shopping.

I caught a glimpse of Ryan out at the patio standling idlely. In this past month I hadn't had the chance to talk to him freely. As I started towards the patio Nan appeared like a ghost out of no where and startled me. "Love we need to get you ready! It's so late already, time is ticking away!" She handed me a bag full of skin care products and tugged my arm, pulling me up the stairs.

"Beth I-"

"Nan."She corrected.

"Nan, you don't have to help me, I can do it myself, don't you have your wardrobe selection thing to attend to?" I wanted her to forget I existed because the way I pictured it, I'd be wearing a ton of visibly artificial makeup and a hat that weighed more than I did. "Nonsense child, I've done it and besides we're the only women in the house, out of which only one of us carries themselves as a women."

She had a valid point. My closet was full of tank tops, jeans, t-shirts and shorts. There were hardly any dresses and the few that I had, had never seen the light of day. Disagreeing with Nan was useless, she would have her way whether you would like it or not.

She worked her fingers on my face applying creams I had never seen before, like a facial massage. A strong scent of cocco beans radiated from my face as I waited for it to dry that made me wonder if it tasted as good as it smelled.

Next she sent me to take a long bath with shower gels, shampoos, conditioners, scrubs, scrappers, pluckers, and God knows what else. She made it clear that if I did not use even a single product as she instructed than she would come in and 'do the job herself'. That was a situation I'd find best to stay away from.

6:00 pm

I came out with a towel wrapped up in my hair and a long bath robe. My room was cooler than the bathroom that was, after my shower, close to a steam room rather than a bathroom. I shivered as I came out. I felt that my toes and the top of my fingers had wrinkled up and every time I rubbed my fingers together transparent dead skin would accumalate on them.

Nan was sitting in front of the mirror doing her final touch ups. She looked no where near as clown like as I pictured her, in fact she looked extremely sophisticated flaunting her outfit. She wore a baggy white satin sleeveless shirt under a black coat with a shimmering grey collar lining and a black skirt. Her neck wasn't visible under the pearl necklace she wore but she carried it perfectly with her black net hat that had a silver ribbon around its circumference with a bow on the side lined with pearls. She left my mouth hanging who knows what kind of effect she would have on the rest of the population there?

Before I could compliment her she called for a hair and make up team that came in like soldiers taking me by force on the barbarers chair (I have no idea how or when it came in to my room). They dried and curled my dead straight hair and worked their magic with utensils and their variety of colour shades on my face. Given that they tugged my face and hair in every possible direction I was least bothered with what they were doing and more concerned about when it would be over. I popped on my headphones and closed my eyes drowning the noise of the world out with the music in my head.

7:10 pm

Nan took the headphones away from me knocking me back in to reality. I was ready and just had to slip in to my dress. I felt my that my head was heavier from the back than the front and wanted to see for myself what it was in the mirror but as usual I wasn't going to get what I wanted. Nan stripped me from my robe and gently helped me in to my dress and zipped me up from the back. She turned me around and shook her head and covered her mouth with her hand letting out a gasp.

"Whats wrong?" I asked praying that everything was alright. She took both of my hands and held them tight. "You look stunning."

I stood in front of the mirror; this may sound self absorbed but she was right. I did not recognize the girl, rather lady who stood before ne. My normally tangled, lusturous hair was tamed, permed and tied up in a bun with a small delicate silver chain incorporated in it that fell behind my neck in such a way that I just barely felt the cold chain against my skin. The front of my hair was puffed up and my bangs parted to one side. My fingers touched my face and I stood amazed, my skin was baby soft and the make up wasn't hard but extremely natural and nude yet it enhanced my cheek bones and my jaw line so well. My eyes were smoked from the side and up on a hazel coloured base lined with a black pencil up and below. My pursed lips were painted rose with just enough gloss to make them look smooth. Nan asked me to sit down as she hung a delicate amethyst on my neck and placed one of her silver rings on my finger. I was finally complete.

7:20 pm

The walk towards the stairs was treacherous in my stiletto heels. My legs wobbled after a few steps but I had to get accustomed to them or stay in my dates arms all night. The smell of breath taking perfumes clouded the lobby as everyone waited for us. Cara was already downstairs at Hudsons side wearing a navy blue neckline cocktail dress with one complete sleeve. She let her hair fall straight to her hips but still had her glasses on, the rest of the boys wore black suits and ties of the same type differing only in the colour of their shirt. We walked down with my hand gripping Nans firmly.

"Oh my." Grandpa stood up in appreciation as did everyone else and let out a smile. "You two, my dears, look beautiful."

I felt my face flush and smiled looking down at my polished, trimmed and painted toes. Everyone started walking out as he came to me. "Do I need to tell you how speechless you've made me?"

My heart felt tight and my face flushed again. "I'll fall in these shoes." I said softly. He leaned in to my ear. "And then I'll catch you and sweep you off your feet."

I giggled and rolled my eyes. "Cut the drama just don't let me fall."

He laughed, "Don't worry, you're not falling yet." I slided my arm in to the crook of his and left the house. and I thought to myself, maybe it's better that I'm going with him.