Chapter 16

Serenitys point of view

You'd expect people to forget about bad memories in a week - sometimes they stay with you.

Shift of the tides made grandpa regain his authority over us something, for a long time, Ryan had. It's weird, because the moment you know where things are headed, the moment you know that everything is Ok, thats when life turns it all around. Talk about having a bad sense of humour. The worst part was life had chosen to play its hand through me.

In a week I had grown distant of Ryan.

In a week I had become wary of my grandfather.

In a week I was set up with a stranger.

In a week all the omens were pushing me in to unchattered teritory.

Spring holidays had come to a close and the family all of a sudden went out of sight. Hudson was still away with his organizing team. Ellis had received an internship offer from Turk National Bank and given the fact that we all needed space, he did not hesitate in agreeing to travel halfway around the world to get away from the drama. Ryan kept himself busy with AVOC, sometimes I would go days without seeing him.

The house seemed so empty without the presence of my brothers in it. Even I preffered staying out even if it meant just walking about. I stopped by PS 183, Dawn's school and searched through all the children running out of the doors for any sign of him. Something tugged my jeans. " Hey! Whatcha doin' down there buddy?" I looked down to my side.

" I'm little, where else do you think I'm goin to be Ren?" He said laughing as I picked him up in to my arms." Boy you're heavy."

He insisted on calling me Ren since Serenity was a mouthful and so was godmother.

" How was your day?" I asked looking for any expression on his face.

He took the question as a chance to give me a detailed insight in to his brief time at school that was mainly filled with activities and physical exercise. What else would 1st graders do? I set him down on his feet after walking a couple of blocks from school when my arms finally gave way." Tired already?"

I gave him a look." Kid you have your own legs do me a favour and use them." I chuckled. I suddenly and very unexpected sat on the sidewalk. " Whats wrong Ren!"

I faked heavy breathing and said, " I'm so tired, will you carry me?" I said widening my small eyes as much as I could.

He laughed hard. " Nooo Ren! Get up silly."

Thats when a car drove up by us. The black window scrolled down and a voice behind muddy aviators said, " Anyone need a ride?" Dawn tugged me harder and helped me get up. I began following Dawn in to the back seat when he cleverly locked the doors from both the sides. I internally groaned. The front passenger seat welcomed me with freezing blows of air currents. He looked at me and I knew what he was thinking." Why did you pick up Dawn? You knew I was going to." He said.

" I wanted to get out of the house." Turning away as I replied.

" You could have just hitched a ride with me you know, if you really wanted out." He said softly while starting to drive again. It was still awkward with Xavier and me and usually our conversations wouldn't last after how are you and what did you do today, even that was a formality we rarely took advantage of.

" Hey Xavier?" Dawn asked.

" Yup?"

" Turn down the air conditioning." He said with a slight shake in his voice that made us laugh.

A few minutes later I turned to him and asked if he could drop me to Village. " Don't you have to study? What about your law course?"

" You know I don't really know if I want to go through with it. I don't want to be obliged to anything right now." I answered.

" Well okay."

I didn't have a problem with him, just that my grandpa and his nan expected us to marry eachother. I still remember our first real conversation after we got to know. All we were sure of was trying to show our elders that it just wouldn't work. Up till now we had been quite successful in doing so and staying out of eachothers way. I had a firm belief that what we BOTH wanted was to go back to our normal lives as quickly as and in any way possible.

I got off at Village and greeted everyone who crossed my path there. They were sitting with Elaih engaged in conversation, one I did not hesitate in breaking. Cara and Chase would normally not get along but somehow they would find common ground with me.

" Hi!" I exclaimed.

When life persisted in pushing me in the arms of strangers, it wouldn't hurt to try and go with the flow.