Chapter 13

Xaviers point of view

There were easily a hundred different explanations for why she was here. My nan was many things, but she was not predictable.

I flew across 2 flights of stairs at lightening fast speed completely forgetting Serenity. I reached the lobby around the same time she did.

" Nan!" I still had my mouth open. I was dreaming, I had to be.

" Close your mouth love its rude." She said slapping me gently on my cheek. Her fingers dug in to my face and pulled me in for a quick kiss on the side. " How have you been darlin?"

" Wha- fine yeah, What are you doing here?" I tried to answer her question and place in mine before she began monologging.

" Aren't you happy to see your Nan?" She said turning back to Mennigin, " I swear these kids have no regard for us old folk."

" It's just surprising nan."

" Well surprises are meant to be surprising love, now don't tell me I have to walk you through that too." She just wouldn't let me in the conversation! She always, ALWAYS did this. Her eyes popped wide open looking behind me. " Oh my good lord, you adorable thing its been ages!"

She rushed towards Serenity pulling her thin body in to a crushing hug. " You look splendid love."

Serenity seemed just as confused as I was. We were on the same boat there. " Oh my, you don't remember me do you? Can't blame you, you weren't taller than that kitchen counter top!"

She gave an uncomfortable laugh but went along. " It's nice to see you too but you are correct, I don't seem to remember."

Nan patted her on the back, " Don't worry love you'll know soon enough. Clyde! Please have my things sent to my room, nan needs her rest." She went to Mennigin and took her hat back from him and proudly wore it. It was funny when you looked at them together because Mennigin was about 6 feet while nan was 2.5 feet shorter.

She planted a small kiss on Menngins cheek before bombarding my face with them, then she turned to Serenity. By the time she was done we all stood there with red faces while she reapplied her lipstick and started walking up the stairs with a bounce in each step. Just when I thought it was over, she yelled from the top. " Y'all be ready at 6 now, we're going to AVOC! Mennigin be a sweetie and get that lil munchkin to tag along, he's so cute, I could just eat him up!" Knowing nan, she might actually just eat Dawn. She laughed and then left as quickly as she came while we just stood there trying to make sense of what just happened. Well at least I did.

We left the house exactly at six, Nan, Mennigin, Serenity, Dawn and me. Coming to AVOC we would be greeted by so many people in so many different ways, it really made you think about where you stood in the company and everyones eyes.

Nan flaunted her white floral dress and a huge white hat. Nan loved hats, she brought a seperate suitcase just of them. She had one for every dress and every occassion.

When, in Mennigins office, Nan was finally done smooching Dawn, him and Serenity left to get a bite to each. Poor boy, it was child abuse, or rather looked like it at the end. They pulled out the plans for Kings Fort, the nameless theme park had finally gotten one. Her eyes widened as she spoke. " Lovely."

Her delicate glowing fingers spread across the blueprints and map area but stopped at the creak. " Did you tell them?" She looked up to Mennigin knowing what his answer would be. They were talking about the clubhouse near the creek, from all the talk I've heard that place is quite dear to the Taylors.

Mennigin shook his head and she squinted her eyes and pouted. " Better now than never love."

" As I recall it's better late than never Beth." He said eyeing her back.

" I prefer my version love. Samuel be a dear and go fetch Serenity and Dawn."

I did as she asked. The interior of the building was nothing less than lavish wood work and sparkling lights, in short, amazing. You could tell Mennigin had a fondness for fountains, besides the large one at the front of the building he had kept 5 minature ones inside.

I found Serenity and Dawn in the East wing of the building. The cafeteria was more like a starred restaurant but free for all staff. Serenity was nearly Dawn's mother, or rather he saw her in that light, consulting her for anything and everything.

I passed on the message to them and grabbed a small apple pie to go. The door to Mennigin's office was open so I snuck in without the receptionist noticing. There was no one there, however I heard noises from the conference room and so I silently stood by the door. I tried to make out the voices but Mennigin was not as clear as Nan.

" Darlin' you knew this was not going to be easy."

" ...very hard to make place Beth."

" Of course they will resent! The decisions you're about to make will test your patience even further love!"

" ...disaster if our decision...best for them...heal the family."

" I know Xavier, he'll try at the very most. When do you plan to talk to them?"

" Ryan...he only wants whats...her, it's...mposibble... happy about this."

" You need to assert order as the head of this family. Stiffen yourself up! They'll fall...and accept soon enough.."

" I need help Beth. Clyde thinks...wrong decision to...Serenity inheritance."

" One issue at a time lets tackle them first."

I heard a noise from behind me. " Are you eavesdropping?" Serenity said with a loud clear voice trying to make out why I cryptically stood near the door.

Dang it! They must have heard because they stopped talking afterwards. I rushed over to her side and whispered to her " Something's up, your gramps and my na-" I stopped seeing as I could not go further. Mennigin and Beth had come out and, to the best of my understanding, tried to brush over their conversation by asking Serenity about her current course on Law.

I joined the conversation but was miles away fron letting go of what I had heard. What were they talking about that involves me and this family? What would I have to try for? What was the real reason for Nans arrival here?