Chapter 12

Serenitys point of view

Pathetic coincidence.

We spent about two days within close proximity of each other without actually meeting up so I had my fingers crossed that our luck would stay the same, maybe I should have wished for the opposite since I never got what I prayed for.

Clyde and his magic hands worked up mouth watering lamb chops and brown rice. The mere smell from the kitchen made the whole house wait anxiously at the dinner table. Lunch was served in the back yard on the chalk white Lucero dining table. It had a fancy name for sure, but trust me it was just a 7 seater rectangular white outdoor table. I was the last to come and with my luck the only seat available was next to Xavier, less than half an arms distance away. My bad luck didn't stop there, When I quietly tried to sneak away grandpa forced me down. I avoided all eye contact by pulling my hair to his side. However whenever grandpa tried to make conversation with me I would reluctantly look toward him coming in to Xavier's sight as well who seem just as uncomfortable as me. Great, just great.

Apparently he had a recovering stomach so, to his discontent, he was served a tomato soup with croutons and sautéed broccoli. It still looked ravishing.

Hudson had finally decided to take up a contract to organize Springs Travelling charity festivals around the neighboring areas. Their last venue would be Kingsview so it was also a good ticket around and back. However because Hudson had stalled for nearly a week, he had to rush out early morning to reach Dramota Heights, the first venue for the travelling festival.

The food was beyond a doubt the best we had all summer. The cooks in the house could not match Clyde's standard. Grandpa urged him to join us however he maintained the fact that it would be unprofessional. Clyde was so close yet so distant from our family, he'd been like that ever since he joined. With Dawn right in front of me on the other side of the table I had a bit of relief.

" How long you gonna stay for mister?" Dawn asked so innocently.

I focused on Dawn all the while they talked.

" I'm not sure, I guess you're gramps doesn't want to let me leave." I'm pretty sure he winked at Dawn after which Dawn tried his best to wink back however would end up closing both his eyes instead of one.

After lunch I felt slightly more at ease. I was high up on the roof of the house where there was a perfect 360 degree view of the entire estate.

" Hey." I heard a voice from behind that nearly gave me a heart attack.

" I think this house is big enough for both of us to be in separate places at a time, dontcha think?" I said with a straight face.

" I know I'm sorry, I just wanted to explain." He said wandering towards the opposite edge.

I shrugged my shoulders and said, " Well I don't want to listen to anything, ok? I don't wanna know you, I just want you to be a complete stranger. We've never met before."

He turned back in relief I suppose. " I want the same too! I just needed to know.."

" Well now you do."

Our brief but awkward conversation was disrupted when we heard the gate open to the estate. We raced to the edge to see my grandpa's Sedan come up to the front of the house.

But grandpa was at home..

Clyde held the car door open and welcomed a short and plump old lady. She was wearing a pink hat that was surely way too big for her head and a floral summer printed dress. Grandpa came out and greeted her as well kissing her on the cheek as she took off her hat. She didn't look as old from her face, even though we were high up I could tell her face wasn't saturated with wrinkles. She had short white hair tied back with a black colour shade underneath. Xavier gasped slightly, I turned to him perplexed and asked him what was wrong. He said, " That's my Nan."