Bring Her Home

Matt doesn't know how it happened.

He called you an hour ago to confirm your date. Nothing sounded forced, there was no background noise, nothing he should've picked up on. But here he is, in the middle of your living room, taking in the area around him, alone. The flowers he got you lay forgotten where he dropped them amidst the wreckage that is your living room.

Correction:
Matt doesn't know why it happened.

Did they take you because of him- because of Daredevil? Has your moment in the sun finally ended? He should've seen this coming. This was bound to happen. But there is another possibility. The world doesn't revolve around him despite the chain of disasters he leaves in his wake. There's a reason he donned the mask, and it was to protect people like you from scum like this. This could be unrelated. But does it matter why? Will it change the way he goes about this? No. Why is not a useful sentiment here. 

Revision:
Matt doesn't know anything, and it doesn't matter.

For the first time in a long time, he's powerless. He doesn't know what to do. He should suit up and go find you, but his only lead is a decaying bouquet at his feet and a pile of broken glass and wood splinters. No information; nothing to lead him to you. It doesn't help that in his panic he can't focus on anything past this room. Even if he could, he has the distinct feeling that there would be no trail for him to pick up on.

Conclusion:
You're gone.

Matt can't accept that. He Won't accept it. It's not in his nature. This is the man without fear as he's heard whispered on the streets. The man who's accepted the devil into his heart and put him on a leash. Who chooses when to let him loose- when to let him take over. Like now.

-0-

By early morning he's made it back to your apartment. He should've known it was useless. For what help could the devil be to an angel? The man without fear. He lets out a wet laugh. He's sure as hell scared now. He's done everything he could- everything he knows how- but there's nothing to lead him to you. Maybe this is God's way of putting him in his place. Reminding him he's not almighty.

He falls to his knees, sliding off his helmet and clutching it against his body. In the first rays of the morning light, he does the only thing left he can think of.

"My sovereign Lord I beseech you,
hear me in spite of my sins.
I know I may have lost your favor by taking justice upon myself.
But you've provided through my worst times
And I beg you not to punish her for my sins.
Bring her home.

She's alone and afraid.
Give her peace and wisdom.
Give her strength
Bring her home.

No one can take anything from us, for it is yours.
No one can give us anything for it is yours.
My sins are mine, and if I should die, let me die.

Let her be.
Let her live.
Bring her home."

-0-

You're sitting in a cage with your arms and legs zip tied; trying to find a way out when the door opens. You're terrified, not knowing what they want with you, what they'll do. Then you're disgusted when you see it's a woman. You can't believe that she would condone this. But your thoughts are cut off when she kneels and unlocks the cage.

"I have to warn you." She starts. "Many- including myself-have tried to escape but they're always caught. When they're brought back here, it's even worse for them. If you go now though, you have a chance."