My life revolves around being antisocial by the food bowl at parties, Part One

"Fine but if you lose, which you will, you have to go liven up the party for that girl over there." Foggy states.

"Is that supposed to dissuade me?" Matt laughs.

"No. It's supposed to get you over that girl, Nicole. You've been all mopey since you found her kissing that guy from your math class."

"How many times do I have to tell you? I'm fine. We were only together for a few weeks."

"I'll believe that when you're acting normal again."

Matt shakes his head. "So are we going to do this or not?"

-0-

Matt pretends like he doesn't know you're shutting out the world with your laptop and a bag of doritos as he walks over.

"Is this seat taken?"

You look up. For once the guy standing before you isn't repulsive. He is blind though. Maybe that's the reason he didn't pick up on the fact that you're willfully ignoring everyone. "Apparently it is now." Even though he's attractive, you still aren't in the mood for this.

"I'm sorry, I'll go if you want me to. My friend just noticed that you're all alone."

You look him over. "It's fine. Sit."

"Thanks." He sits there in silence for a while. The beat of the music would've covered the sound of you typing for most, but Matt isn't most people. "What's so interesting on that laptop?"

You look at him. "How did you know I was-"

"I can hear you typing."

"But the music is so loud."

He just shrugs and waits for you to answer his question.

"Uh nothing I guess. I just don't like big parties."

"Why'd you come then?"

"Well this is my place too. I wasn't going to let my roommate drive me out of here again."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's not your fault. So what was the bet that you made with your friend?"

"Oh, it was just a stupid drinking game." He pauses. "I never told you we made a bet."

"I may seem like I'm over here in my own little world, but I'm observant. So what was the bet? Were you supposed to get my number? Get me out on a date then stand me up? What?"

"Just to come over here and talk to you. Foggy's a great guy, he wouldn't condone something like that. I think he just felt bad for you. And between you and me, I think he had his eye on some blond somewhere. He wanted to make sure I had someone to talk to before he ditched me."

"Yeah, I think he left you to go bang my roommate. Hope he wasn't your ride."

Matt throws his head back. "I told him I wanted to get back at a reasonable hour tonight."

"Sounds like I'm not the only one who has a problematic room mate."

"Thankfully this is about as bad as it gets and it's only the second time this has happened."

"Only?"

He laughs. "Yeah. Well, since I'm going to be here for a while, we might as well get to know each other."

"Yeah, okay."

"What's your major?"

"Writing. Yours?"