Amnesia

A rhythmic beeping wakes you. You fumble around trying to turn it off, but a sharp burst of pain blooms in your side. You open your eyes and look around. The wallpaper looks like it's been there since the 90's, and the TV in the corner that looks like it's been there just as long. You see the sack of blood suspended on a rack next to your bed and groan, realizing you're in the hospital. The last thing you remember is moving into your apartment in Hell's Kitchen. It's obvious that something happened between then and now.

Matt startles awake to the sound of your heart rate changing. Your real heart; not the monitor it's hooked up to. He's been sitting in the chair by your bed every spare moment he's had over the past 3 months. Well, 2 months and 3 weeks. The only thing he's been able to think of since you've been in the coma is how it's his fault. He's been praying that you'll wake up; begging God not to use you to punish him for his crimes.

"You're awake." He says with relief a he leans forward.

The man beside you looks desperate in one word. You can see that his vacant eyes have dark bags under them and he keeps fidgeting as he leans over you.

"Yeah, can I ask why you're sitting there?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He tilts his head to the side, confused.

"Oh, right. I always go to the hospital and sit at random people's bedside."

His stomach drops, actually his whole soul sinks when he hears you say that. He takes a breath and reminds himself that you're awake. He didn't know if you would ever wake up, yet you did. This will be difficult for everyone, but you're back and that's all that matters.

"You don't remember me." You can hear the unshed tears in his voice as he slides on his glasses.

"Should I?"

"Well we've been together for a year now. I was hoping you would."

Your stomach drops. "Please tell me you're just an ass hole playing an inappropriate prank on me."

He presses his lips together and shakes his head.

"Why should I trust you?" You ask. "Do you have any proof of our relationship like pictures or something?"

He taps his glasses. "Wouldn't do me any good. I think you have a couple on your phone though."

You swallow and look around for your phone. You look through the pictures. Just as he said, there's a few pictures of you and him looking like a couple. You look up at him. He's attractive and seems caring. You wouldn't have said no if he asked you out under different circumstances. This isn't the time for that though.

"Look, you seem like a great guy but I don't know you. You've convinced me that something's wrong, but I can't handle this right now."

He nods. "I understand." He feels around for his cane. "I'll go, but please call me if you need anything."

"Alright. Thank you for understanding."

He gives you a sad smile. "Of course. And I mean it, if you need anything-"

"I'll call you."

"Alright. I lo- um, bye." He turns around and goes to walk out.

"Hey, um-"

"Yeah?" He turns around.

"What's your name?"

"Matt." He smiles.

"Alright. I was just wondering who to look for if I need to call you."

"Yeah, don't hesitate."