Chapter 58

"It was a wedding gift from my father. My mother wore it always." He offered.

She gently pried open the locket to reveal a picture of a charming little baby with a happy smile.

"Who is this?" she asked softly.

He thought he heard a quiver in her voice.

"It's a picture of me. It had a picture of Elisa in there too, but she took it with her when she left. I thought maybe you could put pictures of the twins in it."

"Thank you." There were tears in her eyes. "Put it on me, please."

She turned around and he awkwardly worked the clasp. She looked down at the locket almost reverently.

"And now it's my turn." She reached into her secret pocket and pulled out a watch.

It was a simple watch compared the ornate carving of the locket. It was gold and had perpetual calendar inside to help Quinton keep track of the days, even in the field. She took Quinton's hand and placed the watch and chain in his palm. He turned it over and saw it was also engraved: With love and gratitude. Quinton felt his hand shaking.

"Look inside." she said eagerly.

Quinton pressed the button and popped the lid. His breath caught in his throat. There was a picture of Naomi Beth's bright smile inside. His free hand went to his heart and then impulsively he reached for Vicky. They didn't get to embrace. They were herded to the other side of the room where they were pushed into two chairs decorated like thrones.

For the next hour and a half Vicky and Quinton listened as the boys came forward to read a note and deposit it into a colorfully decorated basket. Each man wrote a note in his own hand telling her what her kindness meant to him. She cried happy tears as she held Quinton's hand and watched the basket fill up and overflow.

By the time the evening was over, Vicky was so tired she could scarcely stand. She leaned heavily on Quinton's arm as he escorted her through the fort and gently lifted into the buggy. He climbed up beside her and she moved closer to rest her head on his shoulder. As she did, he reached around her shoulder and she settled in with a yawn.

"You did a wonderful job on the party." As she yawned he chuckled and added "You must be exhausted."

"I am really tired. But I'm so glad you asked me to do this."

"To tell you the truth, it wasn't my idea. Red came to me last week and asked about it. The boys were worried about you so for Christmas they decided to help you find your smile." She gave a sleepy smile.

"And I'll be damned if they didn't." He chuckled as he placed a kiss on her hair and headed them home.

Vicky rode quietly snuggled next to Quinton with her head on his shoulder and his arm wrapped protectively around her. She was tired indeed. She hadn't danced in a long while and she'd never danced as much as she did tonight. The buggy went over a bump in the road. Quinton gently tightened his grip.

"It's alright. I'm not asleep."

"I wondered. You got so quiet." she heard the smile in his voice.

"I am tired. And my feet hurt."

"Not used to being the belle of the ball?"

"Never was before. It was actually a little embarrassing but the boys were having such a good time..." her voice trailed off.

"And you? Did you have fun?"

"I did..."

"It's alright to be happy you know. Jeremy would be glad that you had a merry Christmas."