Chapter 02

Another glance confirmed the baby slept and she ran back to the bedroom. Quin must have woke up and tried to get up because he was a bundle on the floor again. Vicky bent to reach for his arm when her stomach heaved. She choked back the bile and ran for the kitchen. She barely made it to the sink before her stomach emptied. She heaved again and again.

When at last she stopped she felt drained. Her arms and legs felt leaden. She couldn't do this now. She couldn't be sick right now. The baby still slept in her highchair. With a pang of regret, Vicky left her and leaned on the wall as she shuffled down the hall. Quin needed help, then the baby. And then she would have time to rest a little until Jeremy came home.

---

At last Quin was settled soundly in the center of the bed. She'd manage to get his shirt off and his boots. But she'd leave the rest for Jeremy. She shuffled to the kitchen and surveyed the mess. Naomi Beth hadn't liked being ignored and she'd thrown her smashed food everywhere. She was covered in slime from the mushed food.

With a weary sigh she rolled up her sleeves. So much for the rest before Jeremy came home. But at least he would understand why dinner wasn't ready. She smiled as she realized he'd probably insist on making it himself, even if he had worked just has hard as she had today. With a smile she started toward the baby when she heard horses.

"What now?" she mumbled as she headed out to the porch.

A horse whinnied in the distance, but not one of her horses-this was two strangers approaching. Tough looking men wearing gun belts on their hips and slung over their shoulders. They cradled rifles in their arms and she saw one other in a holster on the saddle. These men were a traveling arsenal. They reminded her of her days with the Bandits.

She slipped her hand into the special pocket as she waved with her other hand. Smiling sweetly to the strangers, her fingers curled around the handle of her colt revolver. She wouldn't be caught unawares. Still, she thought of the rifle inside the doorway and wished she'd had the sense to grab it on her way out.

Brushing her hair from her face and taking a deep breath to calm herself, she watched as they walked their horses through the gate and right up to the house. They weren't bandits, but these men had been on the trail for a long time. They held their hands out in plain view as if to assure her they meant no harm. She wasn't having any of it as the hairs on her neck bristled.

Vicky slowly cockled her pistol and aimed at the heart of the one who spoke. She thought of Quin sick out of his mind inside, and the poor sleeping baby. She felt a shiver and something inside shifted. She was suddenly calm. She knew she could take them both, but the second one might get a shot off.

No matter. They would die and so would she before she let the hurt her baby! She wondered vaguely what time it had gotten to be and when her men folk would return. The word slave caught her attention.

"Slave?"

"A runaway slave. We're bounty hunters. Boy about fifteen." He seemed aggravated and it occurred to her that he was probably repeating himself. When she made no move, and no reply he became angry.

"Well lady, you seen him or not?" he snapped.

Embarrassed, she realized they had asked her a question. She knew they thought her just another senseless woman and perhaps this was a good thing.

"A slave out in these parts? Are you sure? I didn't know anyone around here had any slaves."

He looked annoyed and looked at his partner as if to say: What a simpleton.