Chapter 54

For a short while after a rather unusual third meeting involving what was obviously a long standing ritual, Jeremy had been welcomed. He was a little disappointed in the anticlimactic way he was sent back to his life with instructions to carry on as usual.

Unsure what the future would hold, and knowing he needed a method to get his messages through, he embraced his role as military correspondent. His father-in-law was well connected in Philadelphia, Boston, and the territory around. Jeremy sent him a telegram requesting regular updates on the war.

"Ernest, you know you don't have to do this. It's very dangerous. If you were to be caught—"

"Jeremy, I know the risks. The risks our boys face on the battlefield are much greater. The risk you take every day is much greater."

"Ernest." Jeremy paused to endure a coughing fit.

"My risk is rather minimal, actually. I'm already a dead man. There's nothing more they can do to me." He offered a weak smile.

"I tried to enlist."

Jeremy's eyes grew large. He had not known.

"I have a bad heart, and my eyesight is failing swiftly. Doc says I shouldn't be surprised if I lose it entirely inside of four or five years."

"I'm sorry."

"Do I detect a note of pity?" Ernest raised an eyebrow.

"No." Jeremy put a hand on his friend's shoulder and squeezed, "You'll get no pity form this quarter. Call it a shared acceptance of the unfair aspect s of our young lives."

"Fair enough." Ernest returned the gesture.

So it was arranged. Each time Jeremy returned to fetch the telegrams from Bradley, he would, leave a message as well. As military correspondent, he was careful to include bits he'd received from Mr. Bradley. Twice Jeremy had been called to meetings. Twice he'd been asked to inform the Circle of the War. Since he'd nothing confidential, he shared the knowledge gleaned from Bradley.

He marveled how these men so easily dismissed Union leanings in his report and turned it into Southern progress. As he finished his report, he sat only to stand again as the meeting was adjourned. He was discouraged that he hadn't learned anything more of their plot. He began to doubt he ever would.

"Mr. Kelley."

"Yes?" he was surprised. No one had spoken with him before aside from the interaction in the meetings.

"Please, have a seat." He sat. The man nodded and left him.

Jeremy was puzzled. He felt fear scratching at his spine. A coughing fit racked him, and a new feeling bubbled from somewhere deep inside. HOPE. He was startled half an hour later when the door opened. He had very nearly nodded off. Fear renewed its hold as the man with the gravelly voice entered followed by a dozen men. Without a word they sat around him moving their chairs around to create a circle.

"We have asked you here," the man with the gravelly voice began," to help us choose our next course of action. We have been able to keep our fingers on the pulse of this war, thus far, and find our cause is sadly suffering."

"Everyone foolishly assumed this war would be swift and decisive. We were not so simple minded, looking instead at the long range goals. Our analysts however have seen an alarming trend due to the almost unlimited resources available to the Union via these mineral rich western territories." An unknown gentleman announced.

"Our council has decided it is time to advance to the next step in our plan to overthrow the Union control of California. This will create a domino effect as the western states fall to our control. The resources once shifted to the Confederate coffers will tip the scales in our favor." Another unknown voice announced.