Chapter 18

Having determined his course of action, Jeremy left them. As he went down the stairs to the saloon, he felt a huge weight lifted from his shoulders. Most men didn't get this chance. There was only a plan for an inevitable and a hope that they might be alright when death came. He knew he couldn't be there to raise his child.

He'd been granted the chance to make peace with is death and to arrange for his affairs. He was going to sell the paper and then he would work on that little nudge. He couldn't think of anyone more capable to raise his family than his dearest friend. He knew they were good for each other, and given time they could find happiness with each other, even love.

That was more than any man in his position could hope for. Vicky had done so much for him. She nudged him free from Mr. Bradley's influence. She stood by him while he struggled with a dream of making a great paper. She was his angel, his saving grace. This last gift he would give her. He would make sure there was someone there to love her and take care of her when he was gone.

---

She felt much better after a bath. Cato refilled the washtub and put it on the kitchen table where she now stood, scrubbing her skirts. Quinton had a few shirts, socks and a pair of trousers in his "travel trappings" as he called it. She had persuaded him to let her wash them as well. She could tell they had seen many days on the trail and needed a good scrubbing.

There were only two shirts of Jeremy's. He had the rest of his things in town. She'd pick them up today when she went. Cato had only one change of clothing, a thing she silently vowed to correct. Louie had contributed a few items. All in all she had enough to keep her busy until Naomi Beth's nap was over.

As she scrubbed she thought of Jeremy, and how she would tell him that she wanted to stay. She knew full well that the future in Las Cruces was uncertain and probably unsafe for union supporters if a war broke out. But she also knew that it was her home and she was willing to fight for it.

She considered the possibility of dying for it and decided that that would be better than dying each day a little at a time while she were cooped up in fancy clothes, sitting at dull social gatherings, and trying to be someone she couldn't be any longer. She hoped Jeremy understood she wasn't being sentimental, that she'd rationally thought it out and she meant it with her whole self.

It was late afternoon when her men folk wandered to the house for lunch.

"I don't understand why they would want to hurt us Quinton. We haven't done anything to anyone..." she left the thought hanging but unspoken.

"It's only going to get worse, Vicky. Jeremy was smart to put Louie and Cato on alert. Now that I'm aware of the situation, I'd like to stay on at the bunkhouse if that's all right with you. My men are fully capable of running Arrow Q without me for a few more weeks. Hell, they've already run it for a year." He smiled and flinched when he realized how he was talking.

Vicky nodded and spooned another potato piece into Naomi Beth's eager mouth.

"Actually if this is only the beginning I think I would like it if you could stay. Naomi Beth would be better off having Capa close at hand when things get scary, and I would feel better knowing that Louie has someone to watch his back while Cato is here watching ours."

Quinton wrinkled his face and shook his head, muffling a laugh.

"What did I say now?"

"I've been wondering." He chuckled, "Where in the world did you come up with Capa?"

"I didn't. Naomi Beth did."

"Capa. Capa." She parroted, smiling with a full mouth.

"Now look what you did." Vicky teased as she dabbed the mess that oozed down the child's chin.