Chapter 40

Vicky carried the bucket off the porch. On the bottom step, her heel caught the edge of her skirt and she suddenly leaned back to catch her balance. The sudden change in direction sloshed the blackened water all over her legs and feet.

"Shit!" She cursed loudly as she set the bucket down. She uttered another long string of unladylike expressions as she bent to wring the water from her skirt.

"Ugh!" She growled as she stood and stomped her foot in frustration.

"Ugh!" she growled again as she viciously kicked a rock and sent it sailing into a nearby bush. The sleeping birds that she startled screeched and flew in a mad frenzy for a quieter perch.

Startled by the burst of feathers and noise Vicky stepped back and right into the bucket. She lost her balance and fell into the mud, sending the rest of the blackened water puddling all over her.

"Ugh!" she growled. She felt like screaming! She balled up her fists and pounded the mud. All she was going to do was get a bucket of clean water. Now she sat in the mud drenched in dirty water. She was well into another long string of curses when she heard laughter.

Mortified she slowly turned to see which of the soldiers had witnessed this embarrassing moment.

She froze as recognition dawned. Could it really be? She wiped her eyes and remembered too late that her hands were muddy.

More laughter.

"Stop. Please." She begged on the verge of tears.

"What?"

"After all this time and you see me like this...all muddy and dirty and wet. I wanted to be beautiful."

He crossed to her and knelt in the mud next to her, muddying his clothes. He took her face in both his hands, dirtying his hands and kissed her gently.

"You are beautiful."

"Oh Jeremy. I've missed you so!"

"I know darling." He held her then, wet muddy clothes notwithstanding. "I've missed you too."

He cradled her to him, and rested his cheek against the top of her head. Her cheek was pressed to his chest. His heart soared. To hold her in his arms again! He knew he shouldn't have come and he shouldn't show himself. There were two soldiers sleeping not a stone's throw away and it wouldn't be long before Boise or Slim figured out where he'd gone after he'd lost them just before daybreak.

"Are you here to stay?" He heard the desperation in her voice.

"No." he whispered. "It's still not safe, but after I got your journal I had to see you again. I've been watching you for a few days. I hadn't meant to let you see me, but when you put on such a dainty display I couldn't help myself. I had to hold you in my arms again."

"Oh Jeremy, this is awful." She stopped at the startled look on his face.

"I mean it's wonderful to see you again. No." she smiled. "It's better than wonderful. I can't believe you're here."

Her tears fell and left streaks in the mud she smeared on her cheeks.

"After all this time I wanted you to see me beautiful...and the children. Oh Darling they're precious. Bradley looks a little like you I think. Let me..." She started to rise and fell back to her bottom with a thump when Jeremy placed staying hand on her shoulder.

"But..."

"No. It's not safe for me to be with you. I shouldn't have come."

"But we left that place! This is California!"