Chapter 39

Jebb, Moses, Louie, and Cato were gone two weeks. They'd stayed long enough to help clear some of the fields for a spring plant. Shortly after they'd gone, a message arrived from Colonel Schmidt. He was stationed in San Francisco. Penelope and Vicky volunteered to help him settle into his new quarters.

As far as settling into new quarters, Quinton knew the Colonel had very little to settle, but no man in his right mind would refuse such a generous offer from two such beautiful and determined women. Quinton still didn't like the fact they'd gone but with the military escort, he knew they'd be safe.

Edward worked in the barn, repairing tack and taking care of the animals. Katie was like a spinning top as she cleaned and worked in the garden with nary a complaint. Reuben and Quinton worked on getting the roof repaired. Quinton shook his head as he remembered the mess the farm was in when they'd arrived.

Last night Quinton had examined her deed to puzzle out why. The original family sold out in 1851, most likely to participate in the gold rush. The new owners probably had hopes of buying low and selling high, but it wasn't to be. The property was obviously left unattended for most of the past decade. Mrs. Larraby got it with very little mark up.

"Found another hole." Reuben's voice broke into his thoughts and got him back to task.

Two hours later he and Reuben were busy replacing a large patch of ruined tiles when Mrs. Larraby's angry voice drew their attention.

"Stay here and work. I'm going to see what's going on." He instructed Reuben. The boy nodded obediently, proud to be left to work unsupervised.

Quinton crawled close enough to the edge of the roof to see. He lay on his belly and eased the rifle into position. Mrs. Larraby was shouting at two gentlemen. They were clearly not thieves. Dressed in fine new suits they rode in a tiny buggy. He dismissed the situation as one she could handle herself.

He pulled himself to a low crouch and started back to Rueben. He had taken two steps when he stopped cold. Katie Larraby's voice turned to ice and she threatened the visitors loudly in a thick Irish brogue.

"You both best be gettin' off me land or I'll fetch me son and he'll bring down the heavens upon ya and you'll be havin' your supper with St. Peter... And you can't be sayin' that I didn't warn ya."

He chuckled at her bluff, but he heard the buggy drive away. Before he took another step he heard her voice again, this time beckoning him.

"Quinton McClintock, you come down this instant and bring that boy of yourn with ya."

"Yes ma'am." He called smiling. "Reuben! Come on son! We're being called down."

Back on the ground he and Reuben walked around to the front porch where Katie was waiting impatiently, hands on her hips.

"What took you so long?" she smiled then and Reuben's fearful expression was replaced by a smile in return.

"That was quite a bluff, Mrs. Larraby, using Reuben that way."

"Reuben?"

"When you threatened to fetch your son...."

"Saint's alive boy, I was talkin about you. Now get yourselves cleaned up. Lunch is ready."

"Yes Mum." he teased.

He and Reuben shared a laugh as they went to the pump to get cleaned up.

"Quinton?"

"Yes?" He splashed his face with water. It was cold and it felt good.

"Mrs. Larraby called me your boy just now."