Easter Brunch

Danny's POV 

"Come on, Cynthia! We're gonna be late!" My father exasperatingly yells, pounding on the door of his and Cynthia's Master bedroom. My family and I are dressed up because today is Easter Sunday aka Resurrection Sunday in church with Jaelyn and her family.

"NO!" Cynthia screams behind the door like a child developing temper tantrums. Father pinches his nose bridge and shuts his eyes. "Merda (Shit)! Cynthia, we got to go! You're disappointing my family because of your negativity towards our Christian religion, our Lord, and faith!"

"I'M NOT GOING TO NO ?#@*&%! CHURCH!" Cynthia argues. The six of us gasp out of aghast while Iris is blocking her ears with the palms of her hands. "You know what, Stanley? If she's gonna keep up with that nasty agnostic attitude, we are leaving without her because she can go to hell for using the Lord's name in vain. Don't try to call her when we approach to Church, do you understand that, Stanley?!" Mamma scolds Dad. "Let's go, now!" Mamma growls and throws her coat over her arms and back.

"You know what, Mom and Dad? Let's just go. She is wasting our time." Trisha scoffs. After we exit the residence, we drive to the Church in our separate cars. Before I begin driving, I set up my GPS to arrive to the Community Christian Church in New York City.

**************

10:23 AM

I pull up at the parking lot in front of the church and lock the doors of my car, entering the entrance of the church to see my curvy amica and her family singing along, the Cross Stands by Tim Hughes with the choir.

The cross stands above it all

Burning bright in this life

The cross towers over it all

One hope, one Deliverer

Savior reigning high above it all

Above it all.

The congregation and the choir sings in unison. I spot an untaken seat of the pew from Jaelyn's left side as I hold my Bible tucked in my arm. "Hello, Danny!" Miss Gloria exclaims and gives me a greeting hug as well as Kendra, Violet, Vera, Camille, Kandi, Mr. Bernard, Miguel, Chris, Patrick, Samantha, Brayden, Paige, Michelle, and their children are welcoming my family in Church. Church can be the place to ease my mind off the conflict between my family, including myself against Cynthia. Cynthia is the neuralgia of my family's interpersonal relationship and I pray to God that she would have a change of heart, but she doesn't and that is Cynthia's loss.

After we sing the Cross Stands, we sing another song called, Drops in the Ocean before Pastor Gary asks if anyone in the Church would share their testimony. I rise up from the pew and take my steps towards Pastor Gary. His hand offers for a handshake and I accept by shaking it firmly, yet gently just as he is handing me the microphone and a pat on my shoulder.

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Danny." I respond.

"Good morning, Danny!" The congregation speaks together.

"I am sharing my testimony because my family and my girlfriend, Jaelyn's family are here in this church. This morning, my family and I were having an altercation with my father's girlfriend because she refused to come to church with us. She is known to be agnostic whenever we mention God's words from the Bible and praying before dinner." As I am speaking this, the whole congregation gasps, groans, and murmur in disagreement.

"However, my family and I manage to come to church to honor our Christian faith and religion, especially celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." I address.