Chapter Four

Chapter Four

       “Yo! Elle, want to come play two on two with both our brothers?” a topless Jake asked, appearing in the frame of my door.

       Now, I may not be Jordan’s biggest fan, but I love his friends. Most teenage girls dream of what it would be like to have a brother a year older than them, and have him bring over his hot friends. I’m not like most teenage girls, so I don’t dream of that stuff, because it’s thankfully a reality for me.

       “Sure,” I said, trying not to drool over his appearance as I closed my laptop, standing up. I was writing an unnecessary, extra credit book report, so it didn’t really matter. 

       Jake was always over my house due to his friendship with my brother, and today he had brought Phillip over.

       “How’s life?” he asked as we walked through my house.

       “Okay,” I said.

       “Good. My brother giving you any trouble?” he teased.

       “Like your brother could bother anyone,” I scoffed. 

       “No, he can. I definitely get bothered by him.”

       “Yeah, but you don’t count, you’re his brother,” I said as we stepped outside.

       “Okay, fine. Nick’s back,” he changed topics.

       “Yes he is,” I nodded, not wanting to dicuss Mr. Ross at the moment... or ever.

       “You’re not too thrilled?”

       “Nope,” I said, pursing my lips into a thin, strict line.

       “Phillip is.”

       “I’m not Phillip,” I rolled my eyes.

       “Elle!” Phillip called as we neared the mini basketball court in the back of the house.

       “Phillip,” I smiled.

       “Hello my very boyish sister,” Jordan greeted me. At this moment in time, his insult did hold some fact. I was wearing a pair of baggy, black, basketball shorts, a T-shirt, and a pair of sneakers. If Kara had seen me like this she would have called the fashion police to arrest me.

       “Hello my girlish brother,” I retorted.

       “Ready to play with the big boys?” he asked, dribbling a ball in an attempt to intimidate me.

       “Yeah, when will you be ready?” I asked, countering him with one of my clever responses.

       “Ha. Funny!” he said, passing the ball to me with more force than required. I think he was aiming for my head.

       “The kids verse the men?” Jordan asked Jake.

       “Yeah, I think that’s about fair,” Jake said.

       I passed the ball to Phillip, and he dunked the ball into the basket, clearly showing off.

       “Nice one, lil bro!” Jake said, claiming possession of the basketball.

       “I know, wasn’t it?” Phillip said.

       “Elle, does your boyfriend play basketball? He looked pretty tall,” Jordan said, trying to mess with me.

       “You have a boyfriend?” Jake asked, raising an eyebrow curiously.

       “No,” I said, trying to not show any emotion so Jordan would drop it and not know that he was getting to me.

       “Sure you do!” Jordan said.

       “No, I don’t.”

       “Who’s her boyfriend?” Phillip asked.

       “That blonde kid from the party the other night,” Jordan said, trying to figure out if there was any truth behind his faulty accusation.

       “You mean John?” I asked, still remaining impassive.

       “Yeah, him!” Jordan said. Phillip began to crack up.

       “We’re just friends,” I said sternly, not wanting my brother to even attempt at spreading the false rumor.

       “Sure, that’s what they all say...” Jordan said, knowing that he’d hit the spot where I wanted to explode.

       Phillip continued to laugh.

       “See, I hate to break it to you- actually I don’t, but we’re not going out,” I said, watching Jake as he went over to the side of the court, answering phone.

       “Okay, fine, I’ll ask him when I see him with you next time,” Jordan shrugged.

       “Whatever,” I grumbled.

       After a few minutes of Jordan, Phillip, and I shooting around, Jake rejoined us, looking slightly frazzled. “I just got off the phone with our mom, and it turns out we have some dinner thing go to!” he informed Phillip.

       “Do I have to go?” Phillip asked.

       “If I have to go, then, yes, you have to go suffer as well,” Jake said.

       “Fine,” Phillip unhappily agreed. 

       “Cool, so I’ll see you guys later!” Jake said, giving me a sweaty hug, and pounding fists with Jordan.

       “Bye Elle!” Phillip said, smiling and giving me a quick hug.

       “Bye,” I said to both of them.

       “Oh, and Elle, hope you have fun with John!” Jake said as he ran off laughing. I shook my head at even the idea of John and I dating. Ridiculous.