Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

      “Elle. Elle. Elle. Elle. Elle. Elle. Elle!” Kara screamed as we exited from her mom’s car.

      “What?” I asked, rubbing my eyes. I was so tired. Being the genius that I was, I went to bed at around twelve a.m., and now, here I was, at the airport, at four... in the morning. Normally, I was brighter, and knew that sleep was needed, but video chatting with Nick made up for the lack of sleep.

      “I’m freaking out!” Kara exclaimed, lugging one of her four suitcases to the check-in counter.

      “Why?” I questioned tiredly.

      “Because I really don’t want to go!” she whined.

      “You don’t have an option,” I sighed, adjusting my backpack so it sat comfortably on my shoulders.

      “Yeah, but, seriously, they’re planning on throwing us into the wilderness, and then, just, like, leaving us there!” she complained in regards to our little journey.

      “The teachers’ll be suffering with us,” I reminded her.

      “But, like, I am not going to sleep in a tent! I just can’t!” she cried, shuddering.

      “Suck it up, it’s not that bad, we’re going to help the less fortunate, and Ben’s going to be there with us too,” I said as encouragingly as I could for four o’clock in the freaking morning.

      “How do you know?” she said as I gave my two suitcases to some guy who worked for the airline.

      “I don’t.”

      “Well there’s going to be, like, electricity, right?”

      “Maybe,” I mumbled through a yawn.

      “So, there’s a chance there won’t be?” she all but shrieked.

      “Yup,” I replied.

      “OMG! I’m going to, like, die! How will I charge my laptop? My phone? How am I going to, like, text?” she asked, clutching her phone that was conviently already in her hand to her chest as if her life depended on it.

      “Well, considering everyone you would text will be there with us, I don’t think that’ll be a problem.”

      “It will though!” she objected.

      “Okay, Kara,” I nodded, “By the way, you do know we have a layover in England, right?”

      “We do? How long?” she inquired more awake than I ever was.

      “Three days, give or take,” I shrugged.

      “That’s good! I’ll get some shopping done there, and then go into the wilderness!” she said, planning it all out in her head as if it made perfect sense.

      “Right,” I said as the automatic doors opened while we entered the airport. My eyes scanned around for my grade, and then I spotted them in a huge clump. They were easy to spot, the girls all having their matching, designer tracksuits on.

      “Elle!” I heard John call, “Over here!”

      Kara and I nodded, as we joined John, Nick, and Phillip in the area that they were occupying.

      “Class, we have to go through security, so, if you have any bombs, knives, or silly string on you please take it out now, and kindly hand it to me to dispose of,” a teacher yelled over the booming voices of anxious teens.