When we get down the stairs everyone's already digging in, and my heart warm at the scene in front of me. I can't remember the last time our dinner table was this full. Ever since Dad died and Jack left, it's always just been Mom and me. 

But right now it's different. It feels like home again, only minus Dad. I try not to think about that too much, leading myself to the pot with the spaghetti in it. Gilinsky picks up a bowl and holds it out in front of me. I start pouring big scoops in, waiting for him to say 'when', but he never does, so I continue to add more.

He looks at me funny once the pasta overflows. "Hungry?" 

It takes me a second to figure out why he's questioning me, but then I understand. "I thought I was making your plate."

"Why would you be making my plate?" 

I blush. "I don't know." 

He smiles down at me, and it makes my stomach churn. God, he's so cute. 

"Here," he says, leaning the bowl over the pot and putting some back. "Tell me when."

"When," I say after he pushes out half of it's contents. He hands it to me looking proud. "Here you go." 

"Thank you." 

I go to pick up a bowl for him, but he quickly stops me and grabs it himself. He makes his own plate and I wait for him to finish filling it before going over to the table, so we can walk together.

Sam pulls out my chair before Gilinsky can even make a move, and I'm thankful because I don't think my face could be even redder. Gilinsky's being so sweet and it's making me want to scream, but in a good way. 

We take our seats and I pour us both a glass of water, it's quiet besides the slurring of spaghetti and the beating of my heart. I reach under the table and tap Gilinsky's knee with the back of my hand. He looks over at me and puts his hand into mine. 

With my free hand, I pick up my fork and dig in, excited. I love spaghetti almost as much as Jack does.

I let my eyes wander to the empty seat at the head of the table across from Mom. Dad's seat. I try to push away the sadness, taking a deep breath. I look over at Jack, who's too busy stuffing his face to know I'm looking at him. Hopefully Dad's empty seat isn't effecting him too bad.  

Gilinsky squeezes my hand, breaking me out of my trance. I eat another spoonful of spaghetti then lean my head on his shoulder. 

Mom eyes us but doesn't say anything. I get a feeling that we should tell everyone that we're officially official, but before I can whisper to Gilinsky and ask if it's okay to tell everyone now, Sammy breaks the silence.

"So," Sammy starts. He's got sauce all over his face, but no one bothers saying anything considering we've all got sauce on our faces. "Hannah." 

Hannah looks up from her food, her eyes wide and her mouth full. She quickly swallows before asking, "huh?"

"Has anyone asked you to prom yet?" 

I practically gasp, taking a sip of my water so I don't choke. Why is Sam bringing up prom? 

Hannah looks around the table, not making eye-contact with any of us. I watch Jack shift in his seat, as if uncomfortable. I can't tell if this is awkward or not. Why would Jack feel awkward? 

"Have you asked anyone yet?" He continues, not bothering to let her answer the prior question. We all know it's a no.

She shakes her head. 

"Ask me." 

"Huh?" She chokes out again. 

"Ask me." He's pouting now. 

"Sam," I scold. "You can't just force her to ask you." 

He completely ignores me, leaning over the table toward Hannah. "Please?" 

"Why?" She asks. 

"Yeah," Jack pipes up. "Why?" 

At the sound of Jack's voice Hannah perks up. "Okay," she says, not waiting for Sammy's response. "Go to prom with me?" 

Sam claps excitedly. "Yes! Thank you. It's gonna be great I promise!"

Hannah smiles, but it looks fake. 

Something is definitely up, and there's no way I'm going to ignore it any longer. 

_______________

hope you enjoyed that! there's more twists and turns to come (not that that was such a big deal, but still), so don't get too comfortable!

feel free to comment and vote if you'd like, thank you for all of the support and patience!

chapter 49 coming soon,

 - gilinskyshigh