46

Nadia

"Did you get taller or something?" Sammy asks, ruffling my hair. I shove him away, smiling wide. It feels really good to see him, I didn't realize how much I actually missed him. We weren't gone too long, about a little less than a month, but it felt a lot longer. 

"Did you shrink or something?" I retort. 

He pouts at me, folding his arms across his chest. He looks around for a moment, gazing at Gilinsky and Hannah. I know exactly what he's thinking. 

"He's here, don't worry. He just really had to pee and didn't wanna use the airplane bathroom." 

"Why didn't anyone go with him? He could've run off or something," Sam says, eyeing Gilinsky. I can see that he's starting to get annoyed and I have to remind myself to be patient with him. He's just really anxious to see his friend and I can completely understand. 

"I'm not that much of a jackass," a voice appears behind Sammy. I look up to see Jack standing there, a smirk written on his face. 

I watch as Sam's face lights up, recognizing my brother's voice. He whips around quickly and doesn't even hide his excitement as he rushes over to him and engulfs him in a bear hug. "You little piece of shit! You're not dead!" He announces. 

We all laugh, watching the two interact. Jack looks just as energetic as Sam does as they pull apart, his eyes moving around wildly as he tries to capture the sight of his best friend in front of him. 

"How've you been? How the ladies treating you?" He asks. 

Sam laughs. "I'm great. The ladies are fine, if you know what I mean," he winks. 

"If by ladies you mean your hand then yeah, I know what you mean."

"Oh you're one to talk, buddy!" 

"And what exactly are you trying to get at there, huh?" 

"Okay, knuckleheads, I don't mean to ruin the sappy let's-make-fun-of-each-other-now-that-we're-finally-together-again moment, but we gotta head back to the house before Jennifer gets home from work," Hannah says.

"What's the rush?" Sam wonders, turning away from Jack. 

"Johnson's in major need of a makeover," she responds. 

Gilinsky and Sam both snort a laugh.

"You've got that right!" Gilinsky agrees. 

"Are you joking?" Jack complains. "Have you looked in the mirror today?" 

"Hey, don't bash on my good looks just because you're not having a good hair day." 

"He's never had a good hair day, don't give him that type of satisfaction," Sam objects. 

"If you guys are gonna keep cramping my style I might just go back to New York and leave your sorry asses here again." 

"Do it!" I jeer. "You won't!

At first Jack looks a little worried, like he can't tell that I'm joking. I quickly flash him a smile so he knows we're still on good terms, and he smiles back. Dodged a bullet there. 

"Come on, guys, let's head out!" Hannah calls from a few feet away. I hadn't even realized she already started walking towards the exit. We race towards her, following close behind, and I get a sudden jolt of happiness. 

Here we are, the five of us all here in Omaha - together. That's all I could've asked for, and although I know things won't be like this for too much longer, I'm thankful for it being like this for right now. And I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Jack Gilinsky

"So, what's been going on?" Sam questions, laying on the couch in the family room. We've just been kicked out of Johnson's room because we were 'distracting the makeover process'.

"Nothing really," I lie. 

So much has been going on, but so much that no one but me and Johnson need to be aware of. Nadia and Hannah don't even know about half the shit happening, we've keep them in the dark for so long and I don't plan on giving them light on the situation anytime soon; let alone telling their friend who I'm not too close with. 

"Seriously? Johnson's been gone for like, four months, you guys have been out in New York looking for him for one month and you find him, bring him home - and nothing has been going on?"

I shrug, not knowing what to say. "It's kind of complicated."

Sam looks angry, and I know I'd be angry too if I was in his shoes, but honestly what am I supposed to say? I can't tell him what he wants me to. 

"I'm sorry," I tell him. "I know you wanna know everything but it's not really for me to talk about." 

"Are you saying I should talk to Jack about it?" 

No. "Yeah." 

He nods, as if he understands exactly what I meant, although I know he has no idea.

"Guys!" Nadia's voice calls down from upstairs. 

"Yeah?" I call back. 

"Are you ready to see the new and improved Jack Johnson!?"

"Hell yeah, bring him down!" Sam replies, getting up off the couch. I follow suit, watching the stairs.

I expect to see Johnson walk down looking fresh as shit, but out of all things he comes down in a lion costume. 

A lion costume. 

I could not be more confused than I was at that moment. 

That's when Nadia comes down the stairs holding a poster and a balloon. The poster reading 'I'd be lion if I didn't want you to come to prom with me'. 

I almost choke on air. What's going on? Is this a promposal? I was supposed to ask her wasn't I? Jack told me I was asking her, but now here she is asking me. So many thoughts flood my mind at once, and now I realize how it was possible for Nadia to change her emotions so fast this morning, because that's exactly how I feel right now. 

I'm disappointed that I wasn't the one to ask her, I'm excited that she's asking me because now I know for certain she wanted to go with me, I'm kind of sad that we're not dating, I need to get on track with that, but most of all I'm genuinely happy. She's so cute and Jack's such a good brother because it's probably hot as hell in that costume, and I'm just really surprised right now. 

"So?" Nadia asks. "Will you go to my prom with me?"

I nod quickly, not able to find any words. I've never been speechless before, but I guess there's a first time for everything. 

"Cat got your tongue?" Hannah appears beside me, grinning from ear to ear.

"No." I laugh. "A lion does." 

Without a second thought, I stride up to Nadia and kiss her. I don't think about Johnson watching, or Sammy, or Hannah. I just think about how much I like her and how sweet she is and how good her lips feel on mine.

That's all the matters in the world right now. 

Well, that is until Jennifer unlocks the front door and walks straight into the lion-promposal-her-son-is-finally-home-her-daughter-is-kissing-a-boy-while-her-friends-watch family room.

_____________

two updates in one day damn I'm on a roll!

lmao I hoped you liked this chapter, it seemed extra mushy to me but yaknow mush is okay every once in a while.

anyway feel free to vote and comment if you'd like, chapter 47 coming as soon as possible!

- gilinskyshigh