Chapter 58 Dresses and Dresses

"I don't like wedding traditions like this." I sit down in the dressing room and stare helplessly at the dozen or so dress surrounding the walls. I've tried on 5 so far and none of them look right. The last one resembled my first wedding dress, the one that I never got to wear. It almost brought my day to an end.

Maggie sighs for the hundredth time and I feel guilty for putting her through this. Tiffany and Lynette have been combing through the bridesmaid section and coming over when I've got a new dress to show them but I think they are getting impatient.

"Maybe if I called Hunter..." I hedge again with a little more pleading in my voice.

"No." Maggie cuts me off and sweeps another dress back on the hanger. "Groom has nothing to do with the dress." She's firm and her voice sounds sympathetic but unmoving.

"The groom isn't supposed to SEE the dress. It's not the same thing. I just need to talk to him."

Maggie shakes her head and holds out another dress for me to step into. I already hate it. Too may beads and layers. "I think I'm done for the day." I whine but she just rolls her eyes at me. This is the 3d time we've been here and the first time she's managed to get me in the fitting rooms.

"Maggie?" I hear a lift rap on the wall of the fitting room. "Can I come in?"

I throw the simple day dress that I came in back on and nod that it's okay.

"Come in." Maggie calls.

Lynette steps in and smiles at us, "just letting you know there are dresses to try on. Tiffany is waiting for you, why don't I take a turn helping?"

Maggie looks at me uncertainly and I shrug. "Fine. Maybe we do need a break." She steps out but not before taking my cell phone out of my purse and shows me she's taking it.

My body slumps into the chair and I hide my head in my hands. I'm so overwhelmed right now.

"Not finding the one, are we?"

I look up at Lynette and try not to cry, all I manage is a slight nod before I drop my gaze. "I don't feel like a bride. I don't feel pretty enough to wear one of these." I speak softly as I stare at the lace skirt on the dress hanging to my left. I feel a hand on my back and close my eyes, warmed by the gentle touch.

"Leah, you are beautiful. I can't think of anyone who compares to you."

I shake my head and take in a sharp, wet breath. I'm not going to fall apart in the bridal shop. Standing over me I can hear Lynette sigh and I resist looking up.

"The way he looks at you, it's like no one else exists in the whole world." She crosses the small room and pulls a dress from its peg on the wall, I can hear the pleading in her voice, she knows how hard this is for me. "One more dress... Let's just pick the right one. Okay?"

I nod and stand, looking around again at the mass amount of white and lace and frills and glitter, feeling overwhelmed again.

"Here..." Lynette presses the button for help and starts taking dresses out of the room and hanging them up outside to be put away. She leaves 3, one on each doorless wall. "Choose from these."

Slowly I focus in on each dress. All are simple and beautiful but not overstated. One has a very casual top with short sleeves and a bow at the waist, and it has pockets.

The second has a slight train but it hugs the hips too much. I can even tell from the hanger that it just isn't for me. The last one is softer in texture and seems to flow from the bodice into the skirt. I finger the thin upper layer and trail my eyes up to the slightly off the shoulder sleeves and I bite the inside of my cheek. "The first one or this one." I say decidedly and Lynette removes the center one and places it outside with the others. I'm left with 2 dresses, one on either side of me the choice still seems like too much and I can feel my brain start to shut down. "I-i don't know..."