Chapter 55 Memories

My brain screams at me, this is wrong, I'm not who he wants. But my body seems to melt at his touch. His hands which were braced on either side of me slide up my arms and end up behind my head, pulling me closer. He inhales and I break away, my cheeks burning hot and every nerve jangling.

"Please, I need you." Hunter whispers as he rests his forehead against my own and I can hear the tears in his voice as he keeps his eyes closed.

I try to see any change but I can't find anything, I want to remember so badly. "Hunter... I'm sorry."

He sniffles and stands, turning around, "I'll call a cab, I got you first class back home and your flight leaves in an hour."

I cup my hand over my mouth and stifle a sob, breathing into my hand to calm my breaths. My head is pounding and I lean on my knees with my head held in my hands. A tune pops into my head and it comes on so strong that I can't help myself, I start to sing quietly,

🎶
"When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love"
🎶

Hunter's feet slow and I hear a shuffling as he turns around.

To make you feel my... Love... I look up at him, love. I love Hunter. Like a thick wall falling in my mind I struggle to pull in as much as possible, feeling like 2 parts coming together. "You sang that to me before I told you I loved you. What I never told you is I already did."

For a split second we stare at each other, it's a second that seems to stretch on forever and I can see the emotions play across Hunter's face, hope, fear, confusion, suspicion, love. "Leah?"

"I'm here... I remember you."

Before I can blink he's rushed across the room and collapsing onto his knees and gathering me into his arms, heavy breaths and whispered 'thank god's' mix with my tears, it feels like I've been separated from him for an eternity and was forced to watch someone else take over my life. I missed him with the kind of pain that you can't get over, I'm grateful it wasn't longer.

Hunter pulls back and looks at me, tenderness and unbelieving showing in his eyes and I lean in and kiss him, as if it really has been forever since I've seen him. He stiffens and then wraps his hands around my waist and laughs as he kisses me back.

"Hey dude, you- woah, sorry."

We break apart and look at the entrance, I blush deeply but Hunter just grins.

"Uh... Sound check... In 5..."

"Thanks Justin, I'll be right there." Hunter doesn't wait for him to leave before giving me his full attention. "I... I should probably cancel that ticket."

"Yeah..." I run my hands over his arms and he stares down at my left hand, not seeming to believe what has happened.

"I'll be back soon, then we can talk." Hunter leans in once more and lightly kisses me.

"I'll be here." I whisper, watching him as he leaves, glancing back as if to make sure I'm still there.

He cleaned up my things while I slept and I try to make sense of the last hour, the last day, the last few months. My head still pounds and I'm still tired but I'm afraid to go to sleep, it's not because of the nightmares but because I'm afraid of waking and finding this all to have been a dream.

I hear a soft whimpering beside me and I look to the left, "hi Cole, where have you been hiding yourself buddy?" His fur feels soft as I smooth my hand along his head and neck and back, he wags his tail in appreciation. "I missed you too."