Chapter 30 Baby Blue

I stare into the salon, contemplating, imagining. My arms are weighed down with shopping bags. I never come to the mall. Too many loud noises, too many staring people.

So I don't chicken out I turn and walk through the entrance and ask for an appointment. The last time I went through a change like this it was to hide, this time it's to discover.

My blond hair is chopped off and layered, falling a few inches below the shoulders and my eyes now look out from underneath feathered bangs that swoop to the side, following my hair line. But it's the same green eyes that stare at me in the mirror.

The women who does my hair looks at my nails disparagingly, I know she sees the labor marked, broken nails which are too short to do anything with. But I don't mind, those are mine too.

Looking at my watch I jump in surprise, I've got an hour to get to Tiffany's! She'll kill me if I'm late! And I've still got to stop at my place to drop off my purchases and pick up the cake.

While I fly down the highway I leave the windows down and blast the radio, it's just that nice of a day.

Once home I strip off the green shirt and jeans and contemplate what to wear. I rifle through my closet and sigh, I really don't want to go tonight. The mall has left me drained and shaky. One step at a time, and it's time to take another step.

I pull the light, baby blue dress I just bought out of the bag and stare at it. It's tissue paper texture rustles and almost as if it will break I unzip it and step into it. The skirt hits midcalf and the bottom layer hugs my legs as the top flows free. The top material stops sooner than I would like and v-lines across my chest, held up by sheer light blue fabric that encircles my neck and acts as a sleeveless top. There is a flower pattern on the sheer and that is probably the only reason I would even consider wearing something this daring.

Since my hair is already in a new style I leave it down and even flip a little hair so it hangs over my right eye. I dig out the new makeup I impulsively bought and spend a few minutes testing it out, deciding on the bubblegum pink lipstick and silver eyeshadow. I must be going crazy, I look.... I look like Tori! Well, not like her but my style reminds me of her.

Silver dangles down from my ears and if I tilt my head my earrings will  touch my dress. I put on the baby blue, opened finger, laced gloves and strap on the silver heels which lift me up 4 inches. I look at myself in the mirror and laugh. "Hello my name is Leah, I don't believe we've met."

The heels come off and I step into a good old fashioned pair of flip flops. I know better than to tempt fate, walking in stilettos and carrying a 15 pound cake.

I only consider for a second weather or not to leave the shoes. I'm doing this much, might as well go for broke. I place them carefully in a shopping bag so they dangle on my arm while I walk carefully with the cake clutched tightly in my arms.

The drive over to Sam and Tiff's is 25 minutes and I resist rolling down the windows even though it's such a nice day. This makes me giggle, I'm not one to care about anything messing with my appearance.

"Hi! Thank you f- Leah?" The shock on Tiffany's face is priceless. I can't help grinning. "What did you do?"

"You don't like it?" I juggle the box in my hands to free up a hand and tuck my hair behind my left ear, I look down at the ridiculous shoes, feeling very self conscience all of a sudden.

"No... I- I love it. You just didn't say anything and..."

"Thanks." I jump in as she trails off and lets me inside.

Sam rushes over and grabs the cake from my hands, and like a typical guy he says hi and walks off without noticing the change.

"Tiff, this place looks amazing! Happy anniversary by the way." I give her a tight squeeze which she returns. Even in my ridiculous heels I still have to look up at her. Although, she's also wearing heels at least as high as mine.