Chapter 16 Unable To Hide

I open my eyes and bright light floods in. I close them again, instantly feeling pain in both my head and throughout the rest of my body, radiating from my left shoulder.

"Leah!" I open my eyes again and see Maggie's tearstained face hovering over me. "Thank goodness! We didn't know if you were going to make it!"

"What?..." My voice sounds numb, strained. "How?..."

"You've been here since yesterday." She clutches my hand and I can see her relax a little bit. "We'll get everything sorted out later, for now lets just focus on the fact that you're going to be okay." She laughs through her tears. I squeeze her hand.

"Hey, I thought I heard a familiar voice." Al walks into the room and I try to raise my head to see him but it hurts too much.

"I don't care! I want to see her!" A high pitched voice yells in the hallway.

"Tori?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's been trying to get in here since last night." Al says, closing the door. "Don't worry, we'll keep her away."

"No, let her in please!"

"You want to see her?"

"Yes Al, please?"

"Sam and Tiff are in the hall... do you wanna see them?"

"No, I need to talk to Tori!"

"Okay." Al looks confused but he walks back to the door and into the hall.

Tori bursts through about 30 seconds later. I tighten my grip on Maggie's hand.

"You didn't die!"

Her voice and the loud banging of the door sets my nerves jangling. It hurts when my body tenses up. "Hi."

Tori carefully approaches the bed, coming into view. She looks completely normal, just a bit of a wild look in her eyes.

"Did anyone see? Are there pictures?" I can't focus on anything else until I know if my life is ruined or not.

"I don't think so, there was so much chaos... now can you explain."

I take a shaky breath. "Explain what?" I know the answer.

"This!" She takes out a yellowed, folded newspaper and holds it out.

I flinch, I know the headline, I know the picture.

"'Leanne Foster Drowns Herself' 2 year anniversary of Devin Foster's murder of his wife turned suicide."

I quote it from memory, closing my eyes. Ignoring the picture. 19, sharp red hair, cropped at the shoulders; ducking my head as I exited the police station, hiding my face from reporters; coat collar turned up. That girl isn't me... not anymore.

"Um.... what about it?" A tear escapes out of my right eye.

Before she can say anything else there is an outburst of activity and noise in the hallway. Tori and Maggie look at the door and I close my eyes, trying to compose myself.

The door opens and closes again.

"Hunter!" Tori leaves my line of vision and rushes across the room.

I try to raise my head again.

"I came as soon as I could, I'm so glad you're okay."

I give up, my body still cries out in pain. Maggie presses her hand against my forehead, smoothing the hair out of my eyes and secretly removing the tear that slides down my cheek.

"Hey." Hunter stands over me with Tori just off to the side. "What happened to you?"

"I..." My voice chokes up.