Chapter 56 Final Promise

My heart races and I take in a deep breath of air. Music blasts through my every nerve and in the calm I've always tried to keep centered I feel a burst of adrenaline which doesn't terrify me as much as I thought. I'm still in control even with the base drumming through my ears.

I started out in the hallway, slowly stepping into the main arena. It took most of the show but finally I got here, hidden in a corner on the lower level, watching Hunter up on stage. He showed me the set list before he went on so when he finishes I prepare myself to get going before the masses start to head for the exits.

"Hold up, not done yet." Hunter breaths heavier than usual from his grand finale. I turn, it's like he's speaking right to me. He laughs and takes in air, "I wanted to do something special tonight. But I need your help, everyone close your eyes... Come on. I said close 'em."

I do and listen for further instruction.

"Now, imagine that one person who you can always count on. The single soul who you know won't laugh at you when your problems seem stupid or they never make fun of you for being yourself. Now try to imagine life without them... Okay, stop. Too sad right? Yep, okay Hunter bring this back around." He mumbles the last part more to himself than the audience but they laugh. "We've all got that person... Just a shout out to those people, the ones that keep us sane in this crazy world." He steps back and after a moment of silence he starts playing and the tune is so familiar and yet to changed, I have to take a moment to identify the tune.

🎶
"Baby why don't we just turn that tv off
Three hundred fifteen channels of nothing but bad news on
Well it might be me but the way I see it the whole wide world has gone crazy
So baby why don't we just dance..."
🎶

I see people starting to do just that and others just holding onto each other. With my heart feeling full I turn and make my way outside and back to the bus where I was supposed to be resting while Hunter played.

It's still a long wait for Hunter and I grow impatient and tired from the excitement. My head starts to nod and then I'm hearing hurried footsteps.

"Leah?" The door to Hunter's room opens and my eyes snap open.

"Hunter, you were fantastic!" I sit up and throw my legs over the side of the bed to face him.

He kneels in front of where I sit and we clasp each others arms. "You saw?"

"I made it." My grin tells the whole story and he leans in and steals a kiss. "I've seen every piece of your life now." I whisper into his shoulder as I wrap my arms around his neck and he pulls me up.

"That last song, it was for you. All for you." He mumbles against my neck and I feel his embrace tighten around my body as he holds me closer. "Leah," he pulls me away unexpectedly and stares into my eyes, "living without you has taught a that I never want to again. So..." He takes my hands in his and slowly bends down on one knee. "Would you promise me that we will never be apart again? I don't have a ring and I know this is completely crazy since technically we've been apart for so long and-"

"Hunter," I cut him off and he stares up at me, "I would be crazy if I said no.... And," I withdraw my hands from his and he looks confused. I reach behind my head and unclasp the chain on my neck. "I even have a ring."

He smiles and slides the thin, skin warmed, gold band onto my finger, my mother's ring feels so foreign and looks so right there on my finger.

"I'll bet you a new ring that when we tell everyone they are going to respond with 'it's about time.'" Hunter jokes.

I pull him off of the floor. "I like this ring just fine."

"I'm sorry it wasn't better planned... Or expected..." He looks around as if seeing a garbage dump.